Re: [Marbling] Digest Number 1822, more tips

  • Laura Sims
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2010
      Dear Joe,
      Here are some tips I have learned by working with some woodturners.
      Before I list tips here is a summary of my set up of choice.  Alum is applied directly to the wood without a sealer.  Golden Acrylics and methyl cellulose are what I have used most, though suminagashi on wood is beautiful.
      Things to consider:a) variations in density of wood grain, hard and soft rings can alter the printb) resin content may act as a resist creating voids or cause small bubbles in the pattern.  ex. exotic hardwoods may not work well due to resin contentc) the surface should be sanded smooth, but not so finely sanded that the surface is "burnished" d) the wood should not be lacquered before marblinge) maple, ash and walnut work wellf) if warping may be a problem it helps to dry the piece slowly.  one way is to place the piece in a plastic bag over night, remove the piece, turn the bag inside out (condensation now on outside), place piece back in bag overnight and repeat as long as necessary.  g) finishes that work  are varnish, deft, water-bourne varnish, polyurethane and krylonf) after the finish is applied the piece can be sanded to remove the raised grain.  a product that works well is "WetorDry Tri-M-Ite Polishing Paper", a cloth backed polishing
      paper 400 - 8000 grit.  no sanding lines are detectable by grit 1200.  available through Rio Grande, 1-800-545-6566
      hope some of this is useful,Lauraindigostonestudio.com

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2010
        Thanks so much.

        Mary was on the ball. She told me to sign up on some of these sights. Everyone is so helpful and they take pride in what they do.
        One day I will get this right because of all the help from Mary and everyone else on here.

        Thanks you again, and many thanks to everyone.

        Take care and God Bless.

        Joe