Re: [Marbling] Re: Marbling wood

  • John Goode
    Message 1 of 14 , May 30, 2010
      Yes I DO!
      Remember someone spraying spray paint on water and marbling glass ornaments
      at a juried art show...
      Pure mud marbling.They sold their pieces as do your own for 3 dollars each.
      It actually made my shirts stick out as NICE so I sold well and paper cards
      too.
      The smell of that paint was awful! The results were not marbling as we know
      it.
      The irony is 6 weeks later at a show in Santa Fe on the plaza, there was a
      woman doing paper demos and you could paint a big sheet of paper for 3
      dollars! This was super work too the weather was perfect.
      Then I met the folks doing it Katherine Levine, Cov and Leach! I had read
      articles in ink and gall about these folks and was thrilled to meet them and
      see them working.
      So please if your going to do some marbling in public use carrageenan and
      paper and not spray paint on water so people can see the real stuff!
      Anyone else have some demo stories to share?
      John Goode
      watermarktile.com

      On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 12:17 AM, artsycole <akartisan@...> wrote:

      > I have also been trying to marble Christmas ornaments with enamel, but have
      > not been having much luck - it globs together on the ornament. Looks okay on
      > the water, but not on the ornament.
      >
      > Anyone have any luck with this?
      >
      > In the 70's there was a fad for awhile where people would push vases,
      > lamps, etc, down into a bucket with paint floating on top, then it would be
      > marbled as you brought it up? Does anyone remember this or waht they used? I
      > wasn't into marbling in those days, so didn't pay attention - they used to
      > do it at fairs and shows.
      > Sue
      >

      > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com <Marbling%40yahoogroups.com>, John Goode
      > <watermarktile@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello R2D2
      > > I have marbled a series of driftwood pieces.
      > > I soaked the wood in alum solution and dried well then it marbled
      > excellent.
      > > Your Alum may be the problem? Try some from a marbling supplier...then
      > its
      > > tried and true.
      > > Priming and sealing if need be are done after the marbling correct?
      > > I use carrageenan for the size and that always makes the paint/ink meld
      > into
      > > the mordant(alum).
      > > The carrageenan may seem expensive but if you want real results try it.
      > > This is my guess with the experience I have.
      > > I hope this helps and let us know how it comes out.
      > > John
      > >
      > > On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 7:48 PM, r2d21069 <r2d21069@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > > I have been doing Swirl paint ( Marbling ) on wood by mixing Borax &
      > > > water together. This makes the Acrylic Enamel paint float on top of the
      > > > water. First I have to prime the wood, then get my pattern as I would
      > > > like it to be, then dip it into my solution.
      > > >
      > > > I have tried this with Acrylic paint ( water based ) but I���m
      > > > having a hard time getting the paint stick to the primer. I have tried
      > > > different primers and sealers, but I���m still having some trouble.
      > > >
      > > > I have applied the Alum every time and I still can���t seem to get
      > > > the paints to stick. They seem to run off of fade together. I mix 1/4
      > > > cup to one quart
      > > >
      > > > Any help on this would be very appreciated because it���s driving
      > > > me nuts. Remember, the wood has to have a sealer or primes on it.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks to everyone who reads this. Take care and God Bless

    • r2d21069
      Message 2 of 14 , May 30, 2010
        I can help with this one because I have been doing it for about two years now.

        Anyway, to do it I use about two cups of Borax to forty five gallons of tap water. This does depending on how hard your water is. Do not use water that comes out of a treatment system if you have one in your house. Just plain old tap water. I let it sit for about one hour after I mix it. I use a drill and a plaster paddle you can get at the HomeDepot, but you can do it by hand. After it sets for at least one hour, take a little out in a cup, or something that you can use for testing. There are all kinds of paints you can use but I use the Testors, or the Plastic-Kote Acrylic Enamel paints. They have to be Enamel, although I have been told that people have used oil paints, but I have never tried them. This process is just like Marbling in a way.

        Your paints have to be thinned out a bit. I use Mineral Spirit not paint thinner because it gives it a little more time before it will dry. Depending on the size of the bottle of the paint, I add about twenty to thirty drops of the Mineral Spirit to the paint. I put a few BB’S in the bottle, so when I shake it up, it helps mix the paint. Then I add paint to my water with a dropper, but you can use quite a few items, I just like this way. Now then, If the paint sinks you need to add a few more drops of the Mineral Spirit. If you notice that your paint look as the have little bubbles in them, you need to add a little more water because to much Borax will make the paint break up to much.

        This is just like Marbling, trial and error. Sometime you may notice that you paint do not go to the outer edge of what ever it is you are using. Mind you that in a small container it will do well, but in a large one it you might see this happen. I ad my dark color to the center first, the on the outer edges I ad my other colors. This brings the dark colors back in from the edge. When you try it you will see what I am talking about. Then I use something like a plastic knife and start to move the paints into a design. I have a link that I found on YouTube that I will add to this.
        Check it out. Remember, there are several ways that people do this. This is the way I do it.

        One more thing, You need to use something to remove the excess paint on the top of the water before you remove your item from the water or more paint will stick to it. I use news paper.

        Watch the video from the link below.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cY4LXZqX-w

        Take care and God Bless

        Joe

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, John Goode <watermarktile@...> wrote:

        > Yes I DO!
        > Remember someone spraying spray paint on water and marbling glass ornaments
        > at a juried art show...
        > Pure mud marbling.They sold their pieces as do your own for 3 dollars each.
        > It actually made my shirts stick out as NICE so I sold well and paper cards
        > too.
        > The smell of that paint was awful! The results were not marbling as we know
        > it.
        > The irony is 6 weeks later at a show in Santa Fe on the plaza, there was a
        > woman doing paper demos and you could paint a big sheet of paper for 3
        > dollars! This was super work too the weather was perfect.
        > Then I met the folks doing it Katherine Levine, Cov and Leach! I had read
        > articles in ink and gall about these folks and was thrilled to meet them and
        > see them working.
        > So please if your going to do some marbling in public use carrageenan and
        > paper and not spray paint on water so people can see the real stuff!
        > Anyone else have some demo stories to share?
        > John Goode
        > watermarktile.com
        >
        > On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 12:17 AM, artsycole <akartisan@...> wrote:
        >

        > > I have also been trying to marble Christmas ornaments with enamel, but have
        > > not been having much luck - it globs together on the ornament. Looks okay on
        > > the water, but not on the ornament.
        > >
        > > Anyone have any luck with this?
        > >
        > > In the 70's there was a fad for awhile where people would push vases,
        > > lamps, etc, down into a bucket with paint floating on top, then it would be
        > > marbled as you brought it up? Does anyone remember this or waht they used? I
        > > wasn't into marbling in those days, so didn't pay attention - they used to
        > > do it at fairs and shows.
        > > Sue
        > >

        > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com <Marbling%40yahoogroups.com>, John Goode
        > > <watermarktile@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hello R2D2
        > > > I have marbled a series of driftwood pieces.
        > > > I soaked the wood in alum solution and dried well then it marbled
        > > excellent.
        > > > Your Alum may be the problem? Try some from a marbling supplier...then
        > > its
        > > > tried and true.
        > > > Priming and sealing if need be are done after the marbling correct?
        > > > I use carrageenan for the size and that always makes the paint/ink meld
        > > into
        > > > the mordant(alum).
        > > > The carrageenan may seem expensive but if you want real results try it.
        > > > This is my guess with the experience I have.
        > > > I hope this helps and let us know how it comes out.
        > > > John

      • artsycole
        Message 3 of 14 , May 31, 2010
          The link on youtube is what I am remembering from watching people in the past. Thanks Wiping the excess paint off before you pull the object out is a good tip. That might have been causing some of the problems I was having, also the paint might have been too thick. I was using both Testor's paints and the Krylon enamel in the little jars that you get from the hardware store, but I was using it on plain water. I'll try the borax - I use that in my laundry all the time - works great for getting out sweat smells and stains.
          Thanks
          Sue
          Sue

          > Watch the video from the link below.
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cY4LXZqX-w
          >
          > Take care and God Bless
          >
          > Joe

        • artsycole
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
            Hopefully, this will not irritate too many people, but when replying to this group, PLEASE erase the former message(s) or just copy and paste the gist of what you are replying to. When you hit the "reply" button, it repeats all the messages related to that message over and over. I get them in digest mode and I have to scan through the whole thing to see if there is anything new in there. I believe this problem shows up in the regular message mode also.

            Also, the repeated messages take up storage space in Yahoo groups and our group is only allowed a certain amount and it also makes it harder to search through the archived messages because of all the repeats.

            On some of the other groups, they send out notices periodically, that remind people of this by saying "Please be neat, delete".

            Thanks for listening and sorry if I offended anyone.
            Sue
          • r2d21069
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
              Got ya. I hope this works. Never even knew that.

              Take care
            • marines bengoa
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 3, 2010
                Totally agree with you.