Re: Does alum go bad?

  • enidadams
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2010
      Hi Marc, I hope you figured out what the problem was. I have just gotten back to marbling after not printing for a long while and was releived when it all worked, but am familiar with the mysterious frustration when it doesn't. My theory on the colors looking weak:

      1) paints may have settled and most of your pigment load was in the bottom, therefore colors not as concentrated
      2) too much time elapsed between aluming papers and marbling them, and/or direct sun on papers before printing, can make the alum less effective
      3)temperature and/or humidity--could papers have been less dry?
      4)if you were using municipal tap water, the water treatment plant "shocks" the system with chemicals from time to time--perhaps it was a water issue.

      Is it possible you forgot how much you need to compress the colors to make them look strong on the paper? If you don't do it as a rule, try putting gall water down first.

      For a nearby resource of alum without mail order when you need to get to work right away, try the local garden center or farmer's coop, as aluminum sulfate is sold there as a fertilizer. Dry alum does not go bad but alum in solution definitely weakens. Alum mixed too strong can contaminate the size quickly and cause other problems.

      May the marbling muse be with you next time you try it!

      Best wishes,
      Enid