guitar body pix

  • doughunt2014
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2010
      I did some guitar bodies today...my first attempt ever.

      I filled a giant trash can with water and Borax. I am wondering if the surface tension of the water is perhaps cut too much. I could take some of the water out of the garbage can, and put some in that does not have any borax in it.

      I used Plasti-Kote oil-based enamel paints. The "Insignia Red" paint turned pink on the surfaces of all test guitar bodies and the blue/yellow/black one in the web folder. It about dissolved and spread across the surface the moment it hit the surface of the water. Blue, yellow, and green behave better. Black tends to disperse, but not as badly as the red.

      The pictures are in the PHOTOS section on the website, in a folder called "Doug Guitar pix"

      Any insights would be appreciated. Many thanks.

      Doug Hunt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 29, 2010
        I can't advise on this technique, but I build guitars and am about to start my second Celtic harp, so find this interesting. I do acoustic instruments though. Let us see the end product... they look nice I think!

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 29, 2010
          These look great Doug.
          I thought I would mention that I once experimented with oil paint from a spray can and got some lovely fine silver and gold effects onto a dark background.
          all the best with your work.
          Jan
        • doughunt2014
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2010
            I am going try ScaleCoat model railroad paints...I had some orange on hand and the results were terrific, just orange and a little plasti kote blue and dipped a scrap stick that had been primed white. The scalecoat orange result was much better than the plasti kote paints, which the PK blue and yellow especially can get a little gloppy if you want the color to be dark and don't thin the paint. And the plasti kote red looks pink on all objects, no matter what. Now every color behaves differently, so we'll see how scalecoat works in the other colors, especially looking forward to trying red.

            Doug