Sources for photoflow or oxgall

  • Carol Pratt
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 28, 2010
      Hello,

      We are in southwest Ireland for some months and would like to do some
      Suminagashi while here. Can anyone provide suggestions for where to
      find either ox gall or photoflo and sumi inks in this part of Europe.
      We're aware that it may be necessary to mailorder either of these from
      the US, but we'd look a bit closer if there is a likely source.

      Thanks,

      Carol Pratt
      Co. Kerry
      Ireland
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 28, 2010
        Carol.... you can, if all else fails, go to a slaughter house to get the bile. Bring a clean container. They will act like you are stark raving mad, so bring some paper to explain why you want it. I don't know if it is considered hazardous waste or not these days, but maybe someone would give you some.

        I have many music friends in Ireland, and know one who is a meat inspector (someone has to do it!) in Dublin who may have some suggestions if you have no luck. Email me off group, I will send his info if you need it. I sure wish I were over there with you right now. I'd be playing harp rather than marbling though!

        You might try looking up Victoria Hall too...I think in London...Victoria, are you out there? Any ideas?

        I suspect also a few drops of dishwashing liquid soap in water would act as photo flow. It is a detergent really.

        Have a great time!
        Iris

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 28, 2010
          Someone told a story about a friend who went to a slaughter house to
          get some ox gall, and, yes, they seemed to think she was certifiable.
          The difficulty came about with the fact that it was a hot day and the
          friend who had driven her to the slaughter house was a vegan. Not a
          fun trip, cradling a warm bucket of gall bladders. I think the driver
          wound up driving with her head out the window.

          To avoid this problem, one might consider the benefit of marbling
          with acrylic. Otherwise, screen your traveling companion carefully.

          Sally

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 28, 2010
            Ha ha...I spilled it in the car, just a little, but enough to stink for a while... took an old paper milk carton...it was before plastic, I am showing my age!!
            Someone told a story about a friend who went to a slaughter house to
            get some ox gall, and, yes, they seemed to think she was certifiable.
            The difficulty came about with the fact that it was a hot day and the
            friend who had driven her to the slaughter house was a vegan. Not a
            fun trip, cradling a warm bucket of gall bladders. I think the driver
            wound up driving with her head out the window.

            To avoid this problem, one might consider the benefit of marbling
            with acrylic. Otherwise, screen your traveling companion carefully.

            Sally

            On Jan 28, 2010, at 2:20 PM, irisnevins wrote:

            > Carol.... you can, if all else fails, go to a slaughter house to
            > get the bile. Bring a clean container. They will act like you are
            > stark raving mad, so bring some paper to explain why you want it. I
            > don't know if it is considered hazardous waste or not these days,
            > but maybe someone would give you some.
            >
            > I have many music friends in Ireland, and know one who is a meat
            > inspector (someone has to do it!) in Dublin who may have some
            > suggestions if you have no luck. Email me off group, I will send
            > his info if you need it. I sure wish I were over there with you
            > right now. I'd be playing harp rather than marbling though!
            >
            > You might try looking up Victoria Hall too...I think in
            > London...Victoria, are you out there? Any ideas?
            >
            > I suspect also a few drops of dishwashing liquid soap in water
            > would act as photo flow. It is a detergent really.
            >
            > Have a great time!
            > Iris

          • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 28, 2010
              Victoria lives in Norwich, two hours by train (I think, but wouldn't swear to it) from London.

              Susanne Krause

              > Carol.... you can, if all else fails, go to a slaughter house to get the bile. Bring a clean container. They will act like you are stark raving mad, so bring some paper to explain why you want it. I don't know if it is considered hazardous waste or not these days, but maybe someone would give you some.
              >
              > I have many music friends in Ireland, and know one who is a meat inspector (someone has to do it!) in Dublin who may have some suggestions if you have no luck. Email me off group, I will send his info if you need it. I sure wish I were over there with you right now. I'd be playing harp rather than marbling though!
              >
              > You might try looking up Victoria Hall too...I think in London...Victoria, are you out there? Any ideas?
              >
              > I suspect also a few drops of dishwashing liquid soap in water would act as photo flow. It is a detergent really.
              >
              > Have a great time!
              > Iris

            • Carol Pratt
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 28, 2010
                Thanks Iris! We'll see what happens next.

                We have an extra bed! in the room where I do MY art stuff. Tiny room,
                but it works. And Sliabh Luachra happens next month in Killarney,
                part of the Gathering Tradition Festival.

                Carol

                ------

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 28, 2010
                  WOW.... I WISH....

                  You will surely see my buddy Jackie Daly over there, very well known Sliabh Luachra melodeon player, and Matt Cranitch as well, maybe playing together. Possibly with Paul DeGrae on guitar. I played with those three at the Catskills Irish Arts Week last summer.
                  Lucky You!!