Re: Aluming Paper and cleaning it

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 16, 2010
      I looked at what I sent and see that I screwed up. I meant to say that I
      use 1 TABLESPOON of alum per cup of hot water, not 1 teaspoon. Sorry about
      that. The alum I use comes from Dharma Trading. Their directions say:
      Dissolve 6-9 Tbsp. alum into 1 gallon of water to make a solution.

      I mark a code on the backside to tell me that is not alumned. I use several
      papers and when you use several white ones, it helps to know which one it
      was a couple of months later, when you are deciding whether or not to use it
      again. I flatten them after hanging and putting them in a plastic bag, with
      the marked side up, so they are ready to go as I reach for them.

      The ones I did yesterday on the Dick Blick 60# sketch paper came out well,
      but I would like a "harder" surface so the lines look crisper. Iris Nevins
      had suggested this paper, so I sent for some.

      Do you use "laid" surface or what are some of the papers that work better
      than others. They have apparently changed Canson MiTientes so that the alum
      shows up "frosted" on them. I have good and bad luck with this paper.

      I was going to go to my printer next week and see what he has. I think the
      heaviest paper he has is 65# as I recall.
      Thanks
      Sue