Re: [Marbling] Re: Aluming Paper and cleaning it

  • dguff
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2010
      Hi all,

      I usually alum the paper the night before I marble. I mark an "x" on a lower corner of the back side and alum the other side. I use a regular kitchen sponge (kept only for this purpose) to moisten the paper, making sure all parts are covered. I then place my paper down alum side up and the next paper goes alum side down on the previous paper. This way, if any spot is missed, the adjoining paper transfers some of the alum solution. I do not make the paper soaking wet, just moist enough to cover the surface. I put about 4 to 6 sheets together (face to face - alum side to alum side) and then a large sheet of thin, very thin, cardboard and continue to stack in this manner. After stacking I put a piece of masonite on top for weight.

      Now before anyone goes ballistic on the "cardboard" spacers...they aren't on long enough to transfer any acidity. I've been doing this for 25 years, and have never had a problem with my alum or marbling. The next morning I restack all of my papers "x" side up and double check that the "x" is visible as I lay down the paper and that way I know that the alum side is going on the pattern and size.

      d.guffey

    • Sue Cole
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 16, 2010
        I looked at what I sent and see that I screwed up. I meant to say that I
        use 1 TABLESPOON of alum per cup of hot water, not 1 teaspoon. Sorry about
        that. The alum I use comes from Dharma Trading. Their directions say:
        Dissolve 6-9 Tbsp. alum into 1 gallon of water to make a solution.

        I mark a code on the backside to tell me that is not alumned. I use several
        papers and when you use several white ones, it helps to know which one it
        was a couple of months later, when you are deciding whether or not to use it
        again. I flatten them after hanging and putting them in a plastic bag, with
        the marked side up, so they are ready to go as I reach for them.

        The ones I did yesterday on the Dick Blick 60# sketch paper came out well,
        but I would like a "harder" surface so the lines look crisper. Iris Nevins
        had suggested this paper, so I sent for some.

        Do you use "laid" surface or what are some of the papers that work better
        than others. They have apparently changed Canson MiTientes so that the alum
        shows up "frosted" on them. I have good and bad luck with this paper.

        I was going to go to my printer next week and see what he has. I think the
        heaviest paper he has is 65# as I recall.
        Thanks
        Sue