Re: [Marbling] Re: 1885 Book Marbling

  • Dave Allen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 7, 2010
      Hi Jan,
      As Antonio wrote to you, Richard Norman's pdf is about as good as it
      gets. Don't worry about making the carrageenan from moss though.
      everyone uses the powdered stuff now days. I can sell you some if you
      can't find a local source.
      Dave

      jan wrote:
      > Hi Dave,
      > Thanks for the link. Its a fascinating technique on the cover, one I haven't seen before.
      > Can you tell me more about how the edges of the book are marbled or perhaps a good link on this?.
      >
      > Jan Marinos
      >
      > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Dave Allen <canadian_bookbinder@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Hi Del,
      >> Those covers are not marbling but an acid process known as tree calf.
      >> see http://cool.conservation-us.org/don/dt/dt3574.html
      >> Dave Allen
      >>
      >> northernlights2n wrote:
      >>
      >>> I just added a folder in our photo section of pics I took of a book published in 1885 called "In the Lena Delta". The folder is called 'Book Marbling'.
      >>> I borrowed it through inter-library loan from the University of Minnesota - it came wrapped with string because the covers were falling off.....
      >>> I uploaded high res. versions, figuring folk could then print it out if wished.
      >>> Here is a link:
      >>> Del
      >>>
      >> --
      >> Beddall Bookbinding Conservation & Restoration
      >> 840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
      >> (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca

      840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
      (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca
    • jan
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1 12:35 AM
        HI + Thanks so much Dave.
        Enjoying this group, great to share info. I hope to put some pics up when I get a chance. Today I was working with Suminagashi inks on very fine tissue weight Mulberry paper.
        Another world....I get transported!

        thanks also for the offer on carragheenan
        costs me $55 AUD for 500g here
        do you sell it cheaper?

        cheers
        Jan