Re: 1885 Book Marbling

  • jan
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 7, 2010
      Hi Dave,
      Thanks for the link. Its a fascinating technique on the cover, one I haven't seen before.
      Can you tell me more about how the edges of the book are marbled or perhaps a good link on this?.

      Jan Marinos

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Dave Allen <canadian_bookbinder@...> wrote:

      > Hi Del,
      > Those covers are not marbling but an acid process known as tree calf.
      > see http://cool.conservation-us.org/don/dt/dt3574.html
      > Dave Allen
      >
      > northernlights2n wrote:
      > > I just added a folder in our photo section of pics I took of a book published in 1885 called "In the Lena Delta". The folder is called 'Book Marbling'.
      > > I borrowed it through inter-library loan from the University of Minnesota - it came wrapped with string because the covers were falling off.....
      > > I uploaded high res. versions, figuring folk could then print it out if wished.
      > > Here is a link:
      > > Del

      > --
      > Beddall Bookbinding Conservation & Restoration
      > 840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
      > (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca

    • Antonio Velez Celemín
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 7, 2010
        Hello Jan:

        The best link I know on marbling bookedges is this

        http://www.edenworkshops.com/marbling.pdf

        I hope you like it.

        My best

        Antonio

        >> Hi Dave,
        >> Thanks for the link. Its a fascinating technique on the cover, one I
        >> haven't seen before.
        >> Can you tell me more about how the edges of the book are marbled or
        >> perhaps a good link on this?.
        >>
        >> Jan Marinos
        >>

        >> --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com <Marbling%40yahoogroups.com>, Dave Allen
        >> <canadian_bookbinder@...> wrote:
        >> >
        >> > Hi Del,
        >> > Those covers are not marbling but an acid process known as tree calf.
        >> > see http://cool.conservation-us.org/don/dt/dt3574.html
        >> > Dave Allen

        >> published in 1885 called "In the Lena Delta". The folder is called 'Book
        >> Marbling'.
        >> Minnesota - it came wrapped with string because the covers were falling
        >> off.....
        >> if wished.

        >> > --
        >> > Beddall Bookbinding Conservation & Restoration
        >> > 840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
        >> > (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca

      • Dave Allen
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 7, 2010
          Hi Jan,
          As Antonio wrote to you, Richard Norman's pdf is about as good as it
          gets. Don't worry about making the carrageenan from moss though.
          everyone uses the powdered stuff now days. I can sell you some if you
          can't find a local source.
          Dave

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2010
            HI + Thanks so much Dave.
            Enjoying this group, great to share info. I hope to put some pics up when I get a chance. Today I was working with Suminagashi inks on very fine tissue weight Mulberry paper.
            Another world....I get transported!

            thanks also for the offer on carragheenan
            costs me $55 AUD for 500g here
            do you sell it cheaper?

            cheers
            Jan