surface treatments

  • Jan Walker
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2001
      Recently there was some discussion of various ways to finish or polish
      marbled paper to protect the surface or give it a sheen. (Thanks Jake
      Benson, Iris Nevins.)

      I'm not doing book endpapers though -- I'm marbling some papers for making
      origami cranes. I'm wondering about treatments to "crisp" the paper
      surface.

      Last summer I was using ProChem marbing colors on carageenan size with
      Loew-Cornell rice paper. Those papers made some pretty nice origami.
      Even a piece of tissue paper that I did that way held up beautifully as a
      crane.

      Now I'm trying the same paper with Boku Undo inks on water. The surface is
      much softer and doesn't fold sharply. I'm wondering whether a final pass
      with a brush or onto a tray of carageenan would impart a different surface
      to the paper.

      Anyone have any experience in this area?
      Thanks,
      Jan Walker
    • dkmaurer1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2001
        Jan,

        I'm glad you're enjoying the Boku Undo colors. Another way to protect the
        finish of marbled papers and keep them from rubbing or chalking is to spray
        them with a fixitive like Krylon or Blair workable matte fixative. The
        product is used by pastel and watercolor artists to protect artwork from
        smudging. I can't vouch for its being archival and it is noxious and should
        be used with a mask or outdoors. But it does dry clear and protects work
        nicely. It may also give your rice paper a better finish for origami folding.

        I can spray a piece of the paper and send you a sample if you want to try it.

        Best, Diane