Re: Alum

  • IrisNevins
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2000
      Oh...that's one I haven't tried...urine....think I'll skip it.

      And some of us who have been marbling for decades wonder if dialysis
      dementia is something like what some of us have referred to as "marbler's
      dementia".....many of us started long ago, without gloves! I have been
      wearing them for at least 10 years now.....I started mainly because the
      alum made my skin crawl after a while.

      Really.....I think it's marbler's "burnout" from doing too many small press
      orders! But seriously, I recommend wearing gloves for the whole process,
      aluming AND marbling. Cadmiums are lead based and you wouldn't want them
      absorbed into your skin either. However, the most danger from pigments
      comes in if you gring your own pigments and breathe the dust. If you make
      paint, masks are recommended. The dusts of some collect in your lungs and
      stay there.
    • fontpro@usa.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2000
        >Alum fixes the watercolors on the paper. Does anyone on the list know,
        >how alum will do this? Is it a chemical process - Alum reacts with the
        >color or with the paper or with both? Or is there a mechanical process
        >like the alum enlarges the surface of the paper and gives more area for
        >the color to adhesive at the paper?
        >
        >Peter
        >--
        >Peter Baumgartner
        >Atelier f�r Papierdesign
        >Freiburg/Germany
        >http://www.papierdesign.de

        In Alternative Photography Alum used to harden gelatin. I'm guessing it
        hardens the Gum Arabic in the watercolor sealing it on the paper.

        Mac
      • Susanne Krause
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 31, 2008
          Hello all,

          it is very difficult to say: alum solution is saturated at such and
          such a ratio. The ability of the water to solve alum is extremely
          dependant on the temperature of the water, meaning: boiling water
          solves and holds more alum than luke warm water than water at room's
          temperature than cold water. One degree more or less can make a huge
          difference. In any case, the superfluous alum will sink down as soon
          as the water cools down again.

          Alum solves comparatively easy but, as it is heavier than water, the
          cristals sink down to the bottom of the bottle when the solution is
          over saturated. If you wait an hour or so, i.e. until the solution on
          top of the crystals is totally clear, you can pour it off and what you
          have then is the saturated solution. So you can start easily at 100%
          and thin it down for tests, and sooner or later you will know how
          strong a solution will be needed for which result.

          Susanne Krause
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 31, 2008
            Along those lines, I used to save alum for other days, sometimes for weeks, before I 'worked" as a marbler. One morning I woke up and found about a 1/2" crystal at the bottom of the glass bottle. I still have it SOMEWHERE!! If I find it, I will take a picture of it and post it.

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 31, 2008
              I had the same experience, Iris. One day suddenly there was a
              magnificent pyramid shaped crystal in my alum container. It was
              beautiful! Now I'll have to look around for it. I know I didn't discard
              it.

              Lavinia

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 31, 2008
                It's amazing, they look like a big diamond! If only! I could have retired on that crystal if it were one! So clear too, and I have tried to make it happen again and it never did. a gift from "the Marbling Gods" I figured! I know I put it in a safe place so not to lose it... and can't remember where!!! Silly!
                I had the same experience, Iris. One day suddenly there was a
                magnificent pyramid shaped crystal in my alum container. It was
                beautiful! Now I'll have to look around for it. I know I didn't discard
                it.

                Lavinia

                > ... One morning I woke up and found about a 1/2" crystal at the
                bottom of the glass bottle.

              • D or Jer Guffey
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 31, 2008
                  Hello,

                  Years ago I took a marbling class from Don Guyot and I recall him saying that heat can destroy alum so he advised against using hot water in which to desolve it. I've always used regular cold tap water and have had no problems. The water can only absorb so much alum, adding more results in the crytals settling on the bottom. If you use distilled water (which I recall he recommended) then it will keep for a long period of time. Has anyone else heard of not using hot (or boiling) water?

                  d. guffey

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 31, 2008
                    Yep I was alittle surprised..I use warm water to desolve and then cold . I heard about/ experience the heat issue. I never iron alumed fabric that also comprimises the fabric, I try not to leave it out in the real hot sun after its dried. It is a salt compound/mordum correct,isn't it logical that once dried it crystalizes?

[...]

                    Checked by AVG.

                  • David Graham
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 31, 2008
                      At any given temperature (above freezing and at or below boiling)
                      there is but a given concentration that alum can achieve before the
                      soution is saturated. Addition of more alum will result no more
                      entering the solution. As the temperature falls, more alum will
                      precipate out of the solution. Raise the temperature and more alum
                      can enter solution. At sea level water boils at 212 degrees
                      fahrenheit (100 degrees Celsius). Any solution of any heat stable
                      chemical (including alum) will achieve its maximal solublized
                      concentration under
                      those conditions. The solution is, at 100 Celsius, "saturated" but
                      must be considered "supersaturated" if the intent is to keep the
                      solution at "room temperature" at which temperature the concentration
                      of alum capable of remaining in solution will decrease, resulting in
                      precipitaion of the excess. Thus the "saturated solution" at room
                      temperature contains a lower concentration of alum than does a
                      saturated solution thereof at a higher temperature.

                      At high altitudes water boils at a temperature lower than 100 Celsius.
                      Thus a saturated solution at the point of boiling in Denver,CO is
                      lower than that at the boiling point in Atlantic City, NJ.

                      Again; this ain't rocket science. If you want to compare the efficacy
                      of different concentrations of alum in your
                      own studio, use distilled water to make it and always add enough alum
                      to your stock solution so that some remains undissolved at the bottom.
                      At a given temperature the clear fluid above the undissolved alum
                      will be of constant concentation which you can then dilute to various
                      degrees for testing purposes.

                      Dave in the Couteau of East River, SD

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 31, 2008
                        The longer I hand around marbling and marblers, there are so many different right and wrong ways for everything, and even those constantly change. It is really the big challenge in marbling, changes. If things always stayed the same many more people would marble, and personally I would have even MORE hair than I do now...luckily I was given tons of hair at birth because otherwise I'd be bald now for tearing it out over trying to figure marbling out for so many years!

                        My crystal, too, it came in winter. I may try to grow one again.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 31, 2008
                          Hi! jaj It´s happens to me a couple of times too, but one crystal was awesome... And I read once that you can make it on purpose taking one little cristal of alum, and hanging up with a thread of cotton or similar into an oversaturated solution of alum (that is called seeding) and this little cristal will grow wired... I never do it this but I gonna make it some day =)

                          David Maisterra
                          http://www.marmolados.com.ar/

                          It's amazing, they look like a big diamond! If only! I could have retired on that crystal if it were one! So clear too, and I have tried to make it happen again and it never did. a gift from "the Marbling Gods" I figured! I know I put it in a safe place so not to lose it... and can't remember where!!! Silly!
                          I had the same experience, Iris. One day suddenly there was a
                          magnificent pyramid shaped crystal in my alum container. It was
                          beautiful! Now I'll have to look around for it. I know I didn't discard
                          it.

                          Lavinia

                          > ... One morning I woke up and found about a 1/2" crystal at the
                          bottom of the glass bottle.

                        • teaweave
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 11, 2011
                            Hi I am new to the group and new to marbling. In fact I haven't done any yet at all. I just mixed some Alum according to the directions which came with it - which was 1 1/4 tsp to 1 cup of water. Then I decided to search on this list and I find amounts up to 2 or 3 TBL. being recommended. What should I start with? I have a variety of papers I planned to experiment with. I am using acrylics.
                            Forest
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 11, 2011
                              Sometimes that amount of alum works. I find you can get away with less sometimes in cold weather. I use a TBS. per cup as do most people.