Re: [Marbling] 1885 Book Marbling

  • mehmet sinan akdeniz
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 6, 2010
      I love back and front pages

      --- On Wed, 1/6/10, northernlights2n <mdstubbs@...> wrote:

      From: northernlights2n <mdstubbs@...>
      Subject: [Marbling] 1885 Book Marbling
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, January 6, 2010, 9:07 AM

      I just added a folder in our photo section of pics I took of a book published in 1885 called "In the Lena Delta". The folder is called 'Book Marbling'.

      I borrowed it through inter-library loan from the University of Minnesota - it came wrapped with string because the covers were falling off.....

      I uploaded high res. versions, figuring folk could then print it out if wished.

      Here is a link:

      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Marbling/ photos/album/ 1484978841/ pic/list? order=ordinal

      Del

    • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 6, 2010
        The back and front covers are with 'Tree marbled paper'. In spite of the name that's not a marbling technique (it is made directly on the sheet in a sprinkling/dribbling technique, not transferred from the surface of a liquid), nevertheless the term is internationally recognized and used.

        Awkward to make, therefore not terribly common. Made also on leather (even more awkward).

        Susanne Krause

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, mehmet sinan akdeniz <mehmetsinanakdeniz@...> wrote:

        > I love back and front pages

      • Dave Allen
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 6, 2010
          Hi Del,
          Those covers are not marbling but an acid process known as tree calf.
          see http://cool.conservation-us.org/don/dt/dt3574.html
          Dave Allen

          northernlights2n wrote:
          > I just added a folder in our photo section of pics I took of a book published in 1885 called "In the Lena Delta". The folder is called 'Book Marbling'.
          > I borrowed it through inter-library loan from the University of Minnesota - it came wrapped with string because the covers were falling off.....
          > I uploaded high res. versions, figuring folk could then print it out if wished.
          > Here is a link:
          > Del

          840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
          (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca
        • jan
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 7, 2010
            Hi Dave,
            Thanks for the link. Its a fascinating technique on the cover, one I haven't seen before.
            Can you tell me more about how the edges of the book are marbled or perhaps a good link on this?.

            Jan Marinos

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Dave Allen <canadian_bookbinder@...> wrote:

            > Hi Del,
            > Those covers are not marbling but an acid process known as tree calf.
            > see http://cool.conservation-us.org/don/dt/dt3574.html
            > Dave Allen
            >
            > northernlights2n wrote:
            > > I just added a folder in our photo section of pics I took of a book published in 1885 called "In the Lena Delta". The folder is called 'Book Marbling'.
            > > I borrowed it through inter-library loan from the University of Minnesota - it came wrapped with string because the covers were falling off.....
            > > I uploaded high res. versions, figuring folk could then print it out if wished.
            > > Here is a link:
            > > Del

            > --
            > Beddall Bookbinding Conservation & Restoration
            > 840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
            > (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca

          • Antonio Velez Celemín
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 7, 2010
              Hello Jan:

              The best link I know on marbling bookedges is this

              http://www.edenworkshops.com/marbling.pdf

              I hope you like it.

              My best

              Antonio

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 7, 2010
                Hi Jan,
                As Antonio wrote to you, Richard Norman's pdf is about as good as it
                gets. Don't worry about making the carrageenan from moss though.
                everyone uses the powdered stuff now days. I can sell you some if you
                can't find a local source.
                Dave

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 1, 2010
                  HI + Thanks so much Dave.
                  Enjoying this group, great to share info. I hope to put some pics up when I get a chance. Today I was working with Suminagashi inks on very fine tissue weight Mulberry paper.
                  Another world....I get transported!

                  thanks also for the offer on carragheenan
                  costs me $55 AUD for 500g here
                  do you sell it cheaper?

                  cheers
                  Jan