1885 Book Marbling

  • northernlights2n
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 6, 2010
      I just added a folder in our photo section of pics I took of a book published in 1885 called "In the Lena Delta". The folder is called 'Book Marbling'.
      I borrowed it through inter-library loan from the University of Minnesota - it came wrapped with string because the covers were falling off.....
      I uploaded high res. versions, figuring folk could then print it out if wished.
      Here is a link:
      Del
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 6, 2010
        Nice Del, thanks. That would be a West End Pattern. It looks brown on the inside on my monitor, but the usual green variety on the edges of the book.

        I just added a folder in our photo section of pics I took of a book published in 1885 called "In the Lena Delta". The folder is called 'Book Marbling'.
        I borrowed it through inter-library loan from the University of Minnesota - it came wrapped with string because the covers were falling off.....
        I uploaded high res. versions, figuring folk could then print it out if wished.
        Here is a link:
        Del

      • mehmet sinan akdeniz
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 6, 2010
          I love back and front pages

          I just added a folder in our photo section of pics I took of a book published in 1885 called "In the Lena Delta". The folder is called 'Book Marbling'.

          I borrowed it through inter-library loan from the University of Minnesota - it came wrapped with string because the covers were falling off.....

          I uploaded high res. versions, figuring folk could then print it out if wished.

          Here is a link:

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Marbling/ photos/album/ 1484978841/ pic/list? order=ordinal

          Del

        • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 6, 2010
            The back and front covers are with 'Tree marbled paper'. In spite of the name that's not a marbling technique (it is made directly on the sheet in a sprinkling/dribbling technique, not transferred from the surface of a liquid), nevertheless the term is internationally recognized and used.

            Awkward to make, therefore not terribly common. Made also on leather (even more awkward).

            Susanne Krause

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, mehmet sinan akdeniz <mehmetsinanakdeniz@...> wrote:

            > I love back and front pages

          • Dave Allen
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 6, 2010
              Hi Del,
              Those covers are not marbling but an acid process known as tree calf.
              see http://cool.conservation-us.org/don/dt/dt3574.html
              Dave Allen

              northernlights2n wrote:
              > I just added a folder in our photo section of pics I took of a book published in 1885 called "In the Lena Delta". The folder is called 'Book Marbling'.
              > I borrowed it through inter-library loan from the University of Minnesota - it came wrapped with string because the covers were falling off.....
              > I uploaded high res. versions, figuring folk could then print it out if wished.
              > Here is a link:
              > Del

              840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
              (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca
            • jan
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 7, 2010
                Hi Dave,
                Thanks for the link. Its a fascinating technique on the cover, one I haven't seen before.
                Can you tell me more about how the edges of the book are marbled or perhaps a good link on this?.

                Jan Marinos

                --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Dave Allen <canadian_bookbinder@...> wrote:

                > Hi Del,
                > Those covers are not marbling but an acid process known as tree calf.
                > see http://cool.conservation-us.org/don/dt/dt3574.html
                > Dave Allen
                >
                > northernlights2n wrote:
                > > I just added a folder in our photo section of pics I took of a book published in 1885 called "In the Lena Delta". The folder is called 'Book Marbling'.
                > > I borrowed it through inter-library loan from the University of Minnesota - it came wrapped with string because the covers were falling off.....
                > > I uploaded high res. versions, figuring folk could then print it out if wished.
                > > Here is a link:
                > > Del

                > --
                > Beddall Bookbinding Conservation & Restoration
                > 840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
                > (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca

              • Antonio Velez Celemín
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 7, 2010
                  Hello Jan:

                  The best link I know on marbling bookedges is this

                  http://www.edenworkshops.com/marbling.pdf

                  I hope you like it.

                  My best

                  Antonio

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 7, 2010
                    Hi Jan,
                    As Antonio wrote to you, Richard Norman's pdf is about as good as it
                    gets. Don't worry about making the carrageenan from moss though.
                    everyone uses the powdered stuff now days. I can sell you some if you
                    can't find a local source.
                    Dave

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 1, 2010
                      HI + Thanks so much Dave.
                      Enjoying this group, great to share info. I hope to put some pics up when I get a chance. Today I was working with Suminagashi inks on very fine tissue weight Mulberry paper.
                      Another world....I get transported!

                      thanks also for the offer on carragheenan
                      costs me $55 AUD for 500g here
                      do you sell it cheaper?

                      cheers
                      Jan