Tray - Supplies - Sources and Comments

  • zozo7bra
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2009
      1. The beauty of this list is the openness and generosity of the more experience members. The courtesy and willingness to listen and share gives it a uniqueness conducive to learning in a nurturing atmosphere.

      2. It would be a disservice to all active participants and lurkers alike if we introduce the kind of arrogance, flippancy and not so thoughtful tones of certain academic lists of other arts and crafts list-serves.

      3. My personal experience with Turkey and Turks is that they are generally thoughtful people, extremely generous and for the most part willing to share their knowledge and their art forms. Their language dates from the early 1920s when Ataturk decided to eliminate illiteracy and gathered scholars from around Europe to create the Turkish language.

      Ebru known here as marbling is a particularly fine and ancient art form in Turkey, witness the collections and some exquisite finds at the Topkapi and the Dolmahbace Palaces in Istanbul, Ebristan shows and various other activities around Istanbul, Ankara, Antalya and various other cities.

      That this particular website is not published in English is not and should not be a problem, it is after all intended for the locals and their native language is Turkish. On Google you can translate the words free of charge. Anyway the keywords are Boya (already mixed paints) or Boyalar(paint pigments); Kitre which means Tragacanth (comes in 3 grades, superior, less superior and for students); Firca means brushes; Tekne is the tray, Tarak are the combs; Biz are the styli; Destiseng is the muller; etc...

      The stores are all in Turkish including Ayan Ebru: http://www.ayanebru.com - http://www.sanatmalzemeleri.com I post these 2 stores because I purchase from them. Please note that sanatmalzemeleri sells Ayan Ebru paints.

      As for the new store posted here it is well stocked but the site as with too many of the sites in the US is not the best web design I have seen. But, they are in the business of "Ebru" not website design.

      Thanks for the post about the tray source, thse are perfect for EBRU and really cheap. I say EBRU, because in traditional EBRU, the sheets are not washed after pulling, the sides of the tray removes the water and excess boyas. I am going to order 2 from them.

      And Iris is absolutely correct, once you decide to go "bongo" on marbling, get an American Marbling Tray from Nancy at Colophon http://colophonbookarts.com/ she should be patronned as should be Iris for your paper for marbling needs.

      Enough said, please remember when it comes to languages, in this country we are not the most savvy. Heck, we barely speak English when in most places aruond the world, people are at least bilingual meaning fluent in 2 languages, often more.

      momora
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2009
        There are also translation services for free online if you really must know what is written. One I used I think Is babelfish.com but google translation sites, you will find one.

        A picture is worth a thousand words anyway

        The stores are all in Turkish including Ayan Ebru: http://www.ayanebru.com<http://www.ayanebru.com/> - http://www.sanatmalzemeleri.com<http://www.sanatmalzemeleri.com/> I post these 2 stores because I purchase from them. Please note that sanatmalzemeleri sells Ayan Ebru paints.

        And Iris is absolutely correct, once you decide to go "bongo" on marbling, get an American Marbling Tray from Nancy at Colophon http://colophonbookarts.com/<http://colophonbookarts.com/> she should be patronned as should be Iris for your paper for marbling needs.

        Enough said, please remember when it comes to languages, in this country we are not the most savvy. Heck, we barely speak English when in most places aruond the world, people are at least bilingual meaning fluent in 2 languages, often more.

        momora

      • Feridun Ozgoren
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2009
          Just a couple of points.

          "Their language dates from the early 1920s when Ataturk decided to eliminate
          illiteracy and gathered scholars from around Europe to create the Turkish
          language."

          This phrase indicates that the Turkish language did not exist before Atatürk
          and, he gathered some European scholars to "create" this language. When did
          Europeans know enough Turkish to teach Turks how to speak Turkish!
          What language did the Turks from China to Anatolia spoke until 1920s?

          Also, illiteracy can exist in any language and examples are abound.

          "....the sides of the tray removes the water and excess boyas...."
          No. It removes only the excess size. If there is excess paint the sides of
          the tray will smudge them on the paper.

          Best wishes to all,
          Feridun Özgören