Re: [Marbling] Acrylic Frame Trays & a Question

  • dguff
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2009
      25 years ago the scarves from Exotic Silks were perfect (tiny little stitches for the rolled hem), but as the years went by, the stitches got larger and larger. Think of the time it takes to hand roll and stitch a scarf and how very little pay the worker got - if they were getting paid by the piece, then larger stitches become a factor, more scarves in less time. I'm sorry, I don't have another supplier to suggest.

      d. guffey

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2009
        Hi-

        I've been using the blanks from Dharma Trading. Most are well done, but some
        are done with polyester thread. I dye my scarves first before marbling and
        polyester thread doesn't dye. When they are marbled, the polyester thread is
        painted by the marbling. I've done some hand rolled hems and I agree about
        the larger stitches. If you have a serger or fancy sewing machine, you can
        do rolled hems with those.

        Mary Holland

        On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:44 AM, dguff <dguff@...> wrote:

        > 25 years ago the scarves from Exotic Silks were perfect (tiny little
        > stitches for the rolled hem), but as the years went by, the stitches got
        > larger and larger. Think of the time it takes to hand roll and stitch a
        > scarf and how very little pay the worker got - if they were getting paid by
        > the piece, then larger stitches become a factor, more scarves in less time.
        > I'm sorry, I don't have another supplier to suggest.
        >
        > d. guffey

        @marysmarbling@...

      • artsycole
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 8, 2009
          the scarves I use are from Dharma trading and the hem issue seems to be the luck of the draw. I "quality control" check them on the final ironing and some are fine and some have only a few stitches that have come apart, and the worst have a 2 -4" gap, so I set those aside and fix them while I am watching tv or booth sitting.
          HTH
          Sue