few comments on things

  • artsycole
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2009
      I consider the side of the scarf with the raised rolled edge to be the back - that way the front is smooth. I also do a "quality control" check on them at the final ironing for any that have stitches that have come undone and set them aside o repair by hand. I have not tried the yardage thing yet, because I do not have a serger and don't want to go to that much work at the present time.

      I hadn't seen the message about the alum at farmer's supply - I will check with my local feed store here and see if they have it -mthat would save quite a bit on shipping costs.

      What i read somewhere is that the methyl cellulose doesn't dissolve so much as the particles swell up. Some providers say to just add water and some say to add the ammonia, then vinegar. The new place I found said they never use ammonia, just hot water, so it is always good to check with the manufacturer or supplier.

      The 100% cotton bandannas I have gotten from Dharma Trading have come out really well marbled also and I have done several types of materials for quilters. I even did a couple of pairs of white tennis shoes by rolling them in the bath after alumning them. So far, I haven't been thrilled with the tshirts or baby onesies because they don't match up at the seams and that bothers me aesthetically.

      What I have NOT had any success with so far, are Christmas ornaments. Since I bought a whole bunch to sell at Christmas, I am disappointed with this, but will keep experimenting.

      I remember it being a fad in the 60's or 70's when you would dunk vases or bowls down thru a bucket of water I thought with paint floating on the top to marble them.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      The fabric softener worked great for removing the paint from my brushes. I also discovered that gel hand sanitizer will remove acrylic paint from your hands if you use it without water, since I don't like to wear gloves.
      Sue