some tips to pass on

  • artsycole
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2009
      I have mostly been marbling with acrylics because I have been doing scarves. I am planning to take a break and switch back to paper and possibly some tube watercolors after December, so these apply to acrylics.

      For brushes, I either order the bundles of plastic broomstraw from www.volcanoarts.biz or Galen Berry http://marbleart.us/. To band them together I get the packages of small rubber bands that they use for horses manes at the feed store or you can get them in some grocery stores for braiding hair.

      I also make little brushes out of popsicle sticks or tongue depressors and cut up cheap whisk brooms. If you have a dollar store or a Walmart or other box store, you should be able to find some. I cut off the bristles, then make a small bundle and glue them to the stick with a waterproof glue like Liquid Nails or e6000 or gorilla glue. I was given this idea by Caryl from this list a couple of years ago, who was kind enough to send me a couple for an example. The bristles are about 2-3" long, so work well as brushes.

      Then to clean them after steady use for over a month, I accidentally found a good idea in reading a book on painting murals with acrylic or latex paints. He cleans his brushes with liquid fabric softener and says he is still using them after several years of steady use.

      I mix my acrylic paints up in cups with a brush to each cup and leave them in there while I'm using them. I cleaned out the tank and put lids on the cups to keep the leftover paint and put all the brushes to soak in a bucket with the fabric softener and some water for a couple of days while i was doing other things. The paint all came right out with very little work and look good as new after rinsing them thoroughly. I have also been using this in my acrylic painting classes and it works well for them as well. Before I was using rubbing alcohol, which doesn't work quite as well and is harder on my hands than the fabric softener.

      I have two more bazaars to go, then am done for the year, then on to bookbinding and painting.

      Have a good week everyone,
      Sue Cole
      Fairbanks, AK
    • Drees, Dedree A.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2009
        Thanks Sue

        dd

        --
        BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

        NOTE: This message was trained as non-spam. If this is wrong,
        please correct the training as soon as possible.

        Spam: https://ssl.ccbcmd.edu:7726/canit/b.php?i=40944314&m=b912fb033713&t=20091125&c=s
        Not spam: https://ssl.ccbcmd.edu:7726/canit/b.php?i=40944314&m=b912fb033713&t=20091125&c=n
        Forget vote: https://ssl.ccbcmd.edu:7726/canit/b.php?i=40944314&m=b912fb033713&t=20091125&c=f