discussion on mc

  • artsycole
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2009
      I haven't been able to get to a computer in a few days and I see that I've stirred up a hornets nest without meaning to. First, I had changed my email over to gmail and hadn't fixed it in yahoo groups and that's why it wasn't going thru - that's why it said 3rd try.

      One person told me it's like comparing Fords and Chevys - some people like mc and some people like carageenan or caragheenan for various and sundry reasons. I have used both and like both and have even mixed them together when I was short and wanted to keep going. I used liquid starch (like for clothes) when I was first starting, so as one person says , use what works and what you can get. What I liked about this new mc was you didn't have to use the ammonia in it. I have had the carageenan go bad in a short time, so was using the mc in the summer to do the scarves.

      Believe it or not, it was 90 here for most of a month in July and I was working outside in a tent, so the mc was working better because of the heat factor. It worked and rinsed out fine for me on the scarves and bandannas. You can also mix it thicker and use it for glue or paste paper, so it serves more than one purpose for me.

      For paper and things where you want finer lines, the carageenan is supposed to be better. The cargeenan that I use, I bought from Diane Maurer and it's supposed to be the same kind that is used by Colophon books supply. I have also bought supplies from her.

      I have yet to find gum tragacanth, so cannot speak about how that works, but would like to try it someday, just out of curiosity.

      I have a tremor, so have trouble doing several of the combed designs, so the free form, as I call them, designs work better for me on the scarves and bandannas and people seem to like them.

      Surprisngly though to me, I have been able to do ebru work and am still working to get better at it - meaning flowers and mountains and things.

      Hope this finds everyone well and happy and that you are doing great work today.
      Peace,
      Sue Cole
      Fairbanks, AK