- Disclaimer: these worked for me - they may not work for you. I'm on a borrowed computer for a moment, so do not have her name here, but one of the other marblers ent me a tip that I had forgotten about and it worked great for overmarbling. I mixed up some "clear" to make holes with by mixing about 1/4 teaspoon or a few drops of GF's Acrylic Flow Release to about 1 cup of water. I used it in both dropper bottles and cups so I could throw it with the broomstraw. You will need to adjust it to your water and paint. At first, I had mixed it too strong and the holes were about 5-6" across, so I added half again as much water to get the size holes that I wanted.
I had done some silk scarves earlier that had come out too pale by trying to "cheat" and doing a quicker method with the alum, so I went back to mixing the alum in a bucket, swishing the scarves around and letting them set for 5-10 minutes, then letting them dry while hanging. They worked much better this time, so the other method had made the alum too weak. The alum I use is from Dharma Trading, but because I was doing a lot of them, I had tried to mix an extra strong batch, then add it to the rinse cycle in my washing machine, but even though I had turned down the water, it still diluted it too much.
I'm passing this on in case you might be tempted. I'm the research type, so am always trying different things to try to shortcut some of my time - some things work, some don't. Although I still put just the scarves in the washer to spin them out, so they will dry quicker.
The other thing I did have a success with was an accidental discovery. I added "paint conditioner" for latex and acrylic paints that I found in the housepainting section of Walmart for $7.00 a bottle to some of my problem paints. It makes the paint dry slower when painting walls. I had discoved this when painting murals, and it allowed me to blend the paint better.
Hope I'm not being confusing with this explanation. Anyway, i had some acrylic paints that I couldn't get to spread properly and they kept sinking, so I added just a small amount of the paint conditioner to them and now they are working fine. So far I have used the paints on both scarves and paper.