Re: Paper and alum treatment

  • jehannettedelille
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2009
      Iris, and other folks on this list...

      Could I convince you to make an "equipment list" for the different types of marbeling that you do? Could you talk about the different results you get with various materials, etc and place this here in the files section? Getting clear references on these sorts of things is not easy for us newbs.

      Thanks so much!

      Jehannette
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2009
        There are many books available on the different types of marbling and the materials used. I am sure all the books have a materials list.

        For watercolor marbling, I use my own brand of watercolors formulated specifically for marbling, with a slant on them towards being able to closely match old book paper colors. They are to marbling paint what Williamsburg Paints are to house paints.
        I use only Carrageenan, ox gall, and aluminum sulfate or aluminum potassium sulfate. And you need a good paper. The only one I safely recommend now is the Dick Blick Sulfite paper, white, 18 X 24, either 60 or 80 pound. No 70 pound available. 80 handles better than 60, just my opinion. Both are pretty good.

        Really nothing fancy, no additives, no conditioners, no borax. I marble with extremely hard water, even though people say it is technically not possible. It is not only possible, but works just as well, I just use a little more carrageenan to get the same viscosity. I was to date never taught how to marble "properly", so I do some "wrong" things, but they happen to work. I keep it as simple and uncomplicated as possible. It's complicated and confusing enough on its own without adding more variables to it.