Re: Paper and alum treatment

  • permtilperm
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
      Thanks for the answer.

      But I'm not sure if I understand correctly. Probably my english
      understanding - or writing - is not what I want it to be.

      "... no buckles and minimal curl when wet ..." is not my problem - even
      though the paper normally curls away from the surface of the size to
      some degree.
      To me the problem appears earlier in the process. The paper buckles and
      curl when dried up after the alum treatment - and in addition becomes
      stiffer as well. That is before applying the pattern.
      Of course it have buckles and curls as well after drying the ready
      marbled paper - but that doesn't matter so much because this flattens
      out when pasted to other papers as endpapers or boards as cover.

      I don't know the Blick sulfite - but papers I have used lately are among
      others:
      Conqueror Smooth Wove, Mohawk superfine matt, Geltex Prima.

      I should probably try to check if Blick is available in my area
      (Scandinavia preferably).

      > it really must be the type of paper you use. I never in nearly 32
      years had that problem. It's harder to find a good paper these days, but
      the Blick white sulfite paper works quite well. My only issue with it,
      is that sometimes they send long grain and sometimes short, and they
      have no clue what you are talking about. It is just how it is made, I
      believe in China. There is no talking to them, have no clue and even if
      they did they will do whatever they are doing. At least it marbles! I
      use the 80 lb. paper with no buckles and minimal curl when wet (the
      binders love this!) and they never are stiff with alum.
      > Iris Nevins

      becomes wrinkled and stiff - and avoiding air bubbles is a main issue.

      > I can iron the papers, or put then in a press until dry. Even if the
      wrinkel is gone (to a certain degree) the paper seems still stiff and
      not so easy to handle.
      > Untreated papers work like a dream. But some must be treated to keep
      the colours.

      > Should I try to have the papers a little moistened ? How will this
      affect the absorbsion" of colours ?
      > It's probably natural - but the dryer the stiffer.
      > My working environment is about 40%-50% RH.

    • jehannettedelille
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2009
        Iris, and other folks on this list...

        Could I convince you to make an "equipment list" for the different types of marbeling that you do? Could you talk about the different results you get with various materials, etc and place this here in the files section? Getting clear references on these sorts of things is not easy for us newbs.

        Thanks so much!

        Jehannette
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2009
          There are many books available on the different types of marbling and the materials used. I am sure all the books have a materials list.

          For watercolor marbling, I use my own brand of watercolors formulated specifically for marbling, with a slant on them towards being able to closely match old book paper colors. They are to marbling paint what Williamsburg Paints are to house paints.
          I use only Carrageenan, ox gall, and aluminum sulfate or aluminum potassium sulfate. And you need a good paper. The only one I safely recommend now is the Dick Blick Sulfite paper, white, 18 X 24, either 60 or 80 pound. No 70 pound available. 80 handles better than 60, just my opinion. Both are pretty good.

          Really nothing fancy, no additives, no conditioners, no borax. I marble with extremely hard water, even though people say it is technically not possible. It is not only possible, but works just as well, I just use a little more carrageenan to get the same viscosity. I was to date never taught how to marble "properly", so I do some "wrong" things, but they happen to work. I keep it as simple and uncomplicated as possible. It's complicated and confusing enough on its own without adding more variables to it.