Re:beeswax

  • Yehuda Miklaf
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2001
      Our resident experts can correct me here, but I think papers were once
      polished with a stone (agate?) and I have seen illustrations of a quite
      large stone fixed to a rod that hung from the ceiling, presumable to
      take the weight off the worker's arm. I assume that was was used in this
      process.

      There are recipes for marbling colours that include beeswax. It was
      melted with soap and the colours were ground in it. I once asked Don
      Guyot if he had ever tried the recipe and he said he had and that it was
      terribly messy and not worth the trouble.

      Yehuda Miklaf
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 24, 2001
        Hi Yehuda....

        I must agree with Don! Yuck!Such trouble. Much easier to wax afterwards.
        And as for the pole in the ceiling, I have been meaning to build the
        contraption for at least 20 years!

        I never polish papers unless I am binding one of my own books, which is
        hardly ever these days, don't have much time for binding. Polishing is so
        much work. In Victorian times the papers were sized with soap and glue then
        passed through heated friction rollers I believe. They call it calendering.

        IrisNevins