marblers gathering

  • athena_2547
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
      Hello,
      I would like to propose Boston as the site of the next marblers
      gathering, for fall 2010 or spring 2011.
      I will volunteer to be the site coordinator, having never been able to
      attend a gathering advice from past co-ordinators would be appreciated.
      The Boston Paper Collective <http://www.bostonpapercollective.com>
      studio in Charlestown could house a gallery show, lectures and
      demonstrations. There are several amazing collections of marbled and
      decorated papers in Boston. The museum of fine arts, the Houghton
      library at Harvard, the Harvard museums, the Boston Public Library print
      room and rare books, the Berger collection. All of these sites are
      accessible by public transit and Boston has lodging ranging from bed and
      breakfasts, to youth hostels. Outside of the city there are many book
      arts related attractions in western mass, as well as the crane company
      museum, and the museum of printing in North Andover.

      ~Melinda Cross
      bostonpapercollective@...

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 30, 2009
        Hi Melinda... you are brave to take this on! Sounds great.

        My main concern, which became a nightmare in Cambridge a while back, with Phoebe Easton presenting her collection to Houghton, we could not park anywhere and even all the garages were full, and we had to rush to the hotel across the river from Cambridge and taxi in and out. We didn't know the area well enough to go miles out and try and figure out the bus or trains. This was after driving for several hours and almost missing Phoebe's talk. Others had the same problem. I wonder if the situation in Boston is similar? Personally, there is no public transport near me and taking a bus or train means driving over an hour and a half, and finding a place to leave the car anyway. So it makes more sense to drive.

        The location sounds great but I mention this because I know many would be driving, and have these possible issues. So it would be good to set up in advance places where people can leave their cars. Also some may be handicapped and find public transport difficult once in the city, or if the car needs to be left in a spot far away and then have to take the trains. Just some things to consider. I think some of the best conferences revolved around a college with dorms and parking, or at a crafts center with housing. For some other events I am involved in, a block of hotel rooms is set aside, and conference, demo, and other gathering rooms provided, and the garage was available. Everything being centrally located with food, rooms and parking is always a plus. From there, maybe some side trips to the places you mention could work more easily. A hotel also may provide shuttle busses, and they also carry their own insurance, which can be very costly if you have to get it yourself. They also have handicapped rooms, and other facilities in place, that you wouldn't have to worry about dealing with. they can accommodate special diets, other medical issues etc. Usually you get a pretty well reduced room rate as well for the block, and people book the rooms themselves, you don't have to deal with that at all, so that's one big thing off your mind. You just handle the conference end of things. Most large hotels are happy to have these events and are very helpful.

        Just my two cents!
        The Boston Paper Collective <http://www.bostonpapercollective.com<http://www.bostonpapercollective.com/>>
        studio in Charlestown could house a gallery show, lectures and
        demonstrations. There are several amazing collections of marbled and
        decorated papers in Boston. The museum of fine arts, the Houghton
        library at Harvard, the Harvard museums, the Boston Public Library print
        room and rare books, the Berger collection. All of these sites are
        accessible by public transit and Boston has lodging ranging from bed and
        breakfasts, to youth hostels. Outside of the city there are many book
        arts related attractions in western mass, as well as the crane company
        museum, and the museum of printing in North Andover.

        ~Melinda Cross
        bostonpapercollective@...<mailto:bostonpapercollective@...>

      • Drees, Dedree A.
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 30, 2009
          Sounds great to me. Maybe my nephew who lives there could give parking advice.

          dd

[...]

          BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

          NOTE: This message was trained as non-spam. If this is wrong,
          please correct the training as soon as possible.

          Spam: https://ssl.ccbcmd.edu:7726/canit/b.php?i=36465495&m=94b2e513467b&t=20091029&c=s
          Not spam: https://ssl.ccbcmd.edu:7726/canit/b.php?i=36465495&m=94b2e513467b&t=20091029&c=n
          Forget vote: https://ssl.ccbcmd.edu:7726/canit/b.php?i=36465495&m=94b2e513467b&t=20091029&c=f
        • pinar yildirim
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 30, 2009
            Verry good news.

            Congratulations Melinda for this precious enterprise and for your intention
            to propose the next marblers gathering in Boston.

            Good luck and cordially...

            nuri pinar
            www.nuripinar.com

[...]

            bostonpapercollecti ve@gmail. com

          • Laura Sims
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2009
              Dear Melinda,

              I will be happy to give you input from the 2002 Gathering if you would like to call me.  Since we are on dial up I prefer phone communications.

              There was a combination of invited presenters as well as individuals who also volunteered presentations.  They were all excellent.  I wish you well as you proceed.  Coordinating the conference was one of the most challenging and enriching experiences I have ever experienced.

              Best Regards,
              Laura Sims
              828-675-9722
              indigostonestudio.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2009
                Hi all,

                I am a woodturner that marbles on my wood pieces.  I would be interested in attending and/or participating in this event as a demonstrator.

                Could I get more specific info to see if there is a chance that I can get involved?

                Thanks,

                Carole A. Floate
                CF Turnings
                200 W. Witchwood Lane