Re: new and obsessed

  • luannesews2001
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 2009
      Most of us don't have anyplace close that carries supplies like methyl cellulose or caragheenan; I'm in southern California and I generally order from Iris Nevins or Dharma Trading. Your price for alum seems awfully high; I know shipping+customs from the US can be spendy, but would it be worth it for you, at least for the alum? A pound will last a long time!

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "zahramoen" <zahramoen@...> wrote:

      > Hello
      >
      > I'm from Canada... I accidentally discovered marbling on youtube while I was looking for something else... I fell in love with marbling.
      [snip]
      > I noticed that everyone gets there supplies from pretty much the same places!..... I hadn't discovered any place near where I live that carries such things as methyl c and carrageenan.... alum here is surprisingly expensive(just about $3 for 65 grams!)
      >
      > Thanks !
      >
      > Zahra

    • Rasim Arikan
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 21, 2009
        I don't know how Canada regulates international trade, but I bought 50 lbs of alum for only $70 from a local wholesale chemical supply company here in Massachusetts. It is very good quality and I don't even have to filter. $3 for 65 grams sounds outrageous. Capitalism at work, I guess.
        Rasim

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 21, 2009
          I do sell by the pound, but you could be better off going to Pro Chemicals and Inks or Dharma for bulk amounts. After shipping small amounts, the postal rates are so high you can nearly double it, actually maybe more than double the cost. Get either Aluminum Sulphate or Aluminum Potassium sulphate. Both work. Not other kinds though, don't work so well as these.

          Iris NEvin

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>, "zahramoen" <zahramoen@...> wrote:

          > Hello
          >
          > I'm from Canada... I accidentally discovered marbling on youtube while I was looking for something else... I fell in love with marbling.
          [snip]
          > I noticed that everyone gets there supplies from pretty much the same places!..... I hadn't discovered any place near where I live that carries such things as methyl c and carrageenan.... alum here is surprisingly expensive(just about $3 for 65 grams!)
          >
          > Thanks !
          >
          > Zahra

        • zahramoen
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 21, 2009
            Thank you so much

            I had read that alum could be bought at any grocery store so, I started looking... took me ages to find it .... @ superstore all they had was the "clubhouse" kind for $2.99 for 65 g and walmart had the same for $2.75... ouch!.... the manufacturer was kind enough to tell me what kind of alum it was but still it's too much money...I will get it likely from the same places as everyone else does.
            I also noticed that people like to use Golden acrylics so I looked at those and found them to be very expensive...maybe down the road when I get better at marbling I will try that brand.