Re: How many gallons

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2009
      It's normal for a lot of paint to be on the bottom after you have
      marbled quite a bit, at least in my experience using acrylics.
      Apparently oils don't leave as much residue, but most people don't
      use them as much now. If I could figure out how to not have any
      paint sink to the bottom, it would save me a lot of money, since
      that's where most of the waste comes from. When you clean the
      surface, it will push paint to the bottom also, so it's not just from
      paints sinking.

      I've gotten better at mixing mine and usually test them in the corner
      of the tray first, if they sink, then I either re-mix them or use a
      different color, but after doing several scarves, I still end up with
      "gunk" on the bottom. Also, I tried straining the gel different ways,
      but haven't come up with anything successful to salvage it after it's
      really dirty, because the paint particles are so fine, especially
      airbrush colors, which work really well, by the way.

      You didn't mention it, but with dharmas methocel, after you mix the
      2 tbsp to a gallon of water - I use a whisk - or you could use a
      submersible blender - you let it set for a few minutes, then you add a
      teaspoon or so of clear NON SUDSY ammonia which helps the
      cells, molucules (can't think of the correct word here) to swell, which
      will make it instantly thicken, then I add a teaspoon of so of plain
      white vinegar to correct the ph. I mix it up in 2 gallon jars, then add
      it to the tank as needed. Other people mix it in 5 gallon buckets and
      use a paddle attachment on an electric drill to mix it.

      If you haven't see it, here is a link from Dharma from their how to
      about basic marbling:
      http://www.dharmatrading.com/marbling/instructions.html#step3

      here is where it says to add the ammonia:
      http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3380-
      AA.shtml?lnav=chemicals.html

      Other brands do not need the ammonia, but the methocel does.

      I started out using distilled water, then as Iris Nevins has talked
      about, tried different things and now I just use my city water. I
      checked the ph of the distilled water and the city water and they
      were the same. I know distilled water has other resons for using it,
      but it hasn't seem to make a difference. I also used a PUR water
      filter on my sink tap.

      Maybe someone else will have some other suggestions.
      HTH
      Sue