Re:Alum for marbling

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2009
      to answer both questions on this list at once, no the alum from
      Prochemical is quite different from the chemical used to do
      pickles.and it's been discussed a couple of times in the archives.
      The Alum I have from Dharma Trading is Aluminum Sulfate. I
      believe the concentration is different also. I got the alum out of my
      cabinet for pickling and it doesn't say on it what it is. I just looked at
      Pro Chemicals' site and it says their alum is Potassium Aluminum
      Sulphate, but both are suitable for dyeing and marbling and work
      well for either.

      For the next person, this is a good site for converting
      measurements.:
      http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/convert/measurements.html

      For dry measurements, it says 2 tablespoons equals an ounce.

      Also, as I have found, different companies give different directions,
      like for the amount of alum to water or methyl cellulose to water.

      I use the carageenan gum from either Diane Maurer or Galen Berry.
      HTH
      Sue