marbling issues - white spots and sinking residue

  • suzydobson
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2009
      Hi all

      I am relatively new to marbling and have found reading these messages invaluable, so thanks to everyone! I am marbling on a carrageenan size using acrylic paints. Switching to golden fluid acrylics (as discussed in this group) has solved some problems I had with colour intensity and blotchy colours where the pigment wasn't mixing well.

      I have two recurring problems which I am hoping someone may be able to offer me advice on:

      1 - I keep getting tiny white spots on the finished image which I believe is due to dust on the size. How do I stop this, other than working extremely quickly once I've uncovered the size? I am also wondering whether the occasionaly tiny white spot is to be expected. I've got a sheet of marbled paper from a professional marbler which does have a few tiny spots on; admittedly it's a second but it has a large air bubble so I presume that's the reason for it being a second.

      2 - When I clean the size I'm obviously not doing it right as I'm pushing some of the residue under the surface so that the size is becoming contaminated and so dark very quickly, after 1 sheet in fact. I've tried skimming lightly and putting newspaper down flat on the size but the trouble with this is that it takes quite a lot of the size with it and some still gets pushed under! This has only really been a problem since I started using the golden fluid acrylics, presumably because there's more pigment/stronger colour?

      Hope to hear from anyone that may be able to help!

      Suzy
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2009
        Size always gets dirty. If your paint is too thick it will get dirtier faster. You need to find the balance of bright color yet not too much excess paint. At the end of my marbling day, it's so dirty I toss it.

        The spots are not just dust, they come off your body, clothing and hair. In fact there is an old Chinese (I think) marbling text that suggests using dandruff to make white spots on purpose. Also "hair products" like spray, mousse, gel etc. comes off you and makes white spots. So have clean or covered hair. Also never let "watchers" or "lookers" lean over the tray while you work. they leave dust or spots too.

        Your clothes, sweaters are out for marbling, they trap dust. Wear tight wove clothing, or a clean sweatshirt of cold, never sweaters. This should minimize the spots.

        You nearly always will get some anyway. I go over the papers when dry and color them in with either a tan or grey marker or colored pencil. It may not match, but the neutral color fill in removes one's eye from the spots. You can try to match all the colors with different markers though.

        You can only do so much, but will get some anyway.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2009
          Hi Suzy,

          I marble on fabric but the technique is the same . You shouldn't worry about the size getting dark. What matters is that the surface remains transparent. Yo can  easily see this if you lower your head at tray level. The newspaper strip used to skim the surface must be the same width of the tray. Take the strip by each corner   and starting at one end of the tray, slant the strip a little bit and skim al the way through. When you reach the opposite edge paste the strip to the tray wall and pull it up. Are you doing your marbling outside?   That could add dust to the size. I do my marbling in my terrace and on windy days I get a little bit more dust than usual.

          There is a DVD by Peggy Skycraft, Mastering Marbling that shows how to do this. www.dharmatrading.com has the best prize that I have seen so far. Hope this helps.