Re: How many gallons?

  • doughunt2014
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 6, 2009
      I think I shall just have to count how many tablespoons I can measure out of the package. I haven't had a chance to yet.

      Doug

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Dave Allen <canadian_bookbinder@...> wrote:

      > Hi Doug,
      > I would be careful about assuming volume to mass equivalency. Teaspoons
      > and gallons are mass while oz are mass. The only way to be sure would be
      > to weigh 2 teaspoons full or measure out how many teaspoons there are in
      > the 8 ounce package.
      > My experience with carrageenan is that it is extremely light.
      > Dave
      >
      > doughunt2014 wrote:
      > > I have an 8 oz. package of Jaquard carageenan...instructions read two tablespoons per gallon. How many gallons can this oz. package make?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Doug
      > >

      > --
      > Beddall Bookbinding Conservation & Restoration
      > 840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
      > (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca

    • dixongarrett
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 6, 2009
        8 ounces is approximately 226 grams. I usually use 8 grams of carragheenan for each liter of water (weighing is more precise than tablespoons and there are so many other variables in marbling that we don't have control over that controlling the variables we can is important) - by the way a level tablespoonful of my carragheenan is 9 grams. 226 grams will make about 7 1/2 gallons of size.
        Garrett Dixon

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "doughunt2014" <douglas_hunt@...> wrote:

        > I think I shall just have to count how many tablespoons I can measure out of the package. I haven't had a chance to yet.
        >
        > Doug
        >

        > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Dave Allen <canadian_bookbinder@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Doug,
        > > I would be careful about assuming volume to mass equivalency. Teaspoons
        > > and gallons are mass while oz are mass. The only way to be sure would be
        > > to weigh 2 teaspoons full or measure out how many teaspoons there are in
        > > the 8 ounce package.
        > > My experience with carrageenan is that it is extremely light.
        > > Dave
        > >
        > > doughunt2014 wrote:
        > > > I have an 8 oz. package of Jaquard carageenan...instructions read two tablespoons per gallon. How many gallons can this oz. package make?
        > > >
        > > > Thanks,
        > > >
        > > > Doug
        > > >

        > > --
        > > Beddall Bookbinding Conservation & Restoration
        > > 840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
        > > (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca

      • Bill Colvard
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 9, 2009
          This is freaking me out a little. I just bought methy cel from Dharma and instructions said 1 oz. per gallon of water. So I just assumed or decided they were talking about fluid ounces so I ounce = 2 Tablespoons. It looked a little thin but it seemed to work alright. But when I drained the tray there was a LOT of paint down there. I hadn't noticed colors sinking but apparently, oh yes, they were.

          www.CoutureDesignGroup.com

          Now I've built a larger tray and I'm madly mixing lots of methy cel so that I can do yardage. I want to do 45" wide fabric 2 1/4 yards long.

          I'm still planning to respnd personally to all of you who helped me get started but sometimes I take a while.

        • marines bengoa
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 10, 2009
            Aren't fluid ounces for liquid measurments?

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 11, 2009
              when you measure the methocel powder, it is in it's dry state, so you would measure 2 tablespoons to equazl one ounce of powder to mix into a gallon of water if that's what you are asking. Some people use grams and measure it on a little scale, but I'd have to look it up again to see how many grams equal one ounce.
              HTH
              Sue

              PS I got some kind of message from someone in arabic, but my computer does not convert arabic to english so I couldn't answer it.
              Sorry

            • Sue Cole

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 12, 2009
                  Hi, All,
                  Last night I weighed out the caragheenan I have: 8 and about 1/8th
                  teaspoons (a tad less than 3 tablespoons) of caragheenan weighed out to one ounce.
                  This amount would be added to one gallon of water. My scale is measures to
                  0.01 Gm, and converts to ounces or other weight systems.

                  In a previous note I mentioned that 1 ounce of methylcel is 3-1/2
                  tablespoons of the powder. This amount is put into a gallon of water, along with a
                  teaspoon of clear ammonia, and perhaps a teaspoon of vinegar to return the
                  solution to a neutral pH. I might mention that I often add a little more
                  ammonia, as my water is often near a pH of about 6, and the 1 teaspoon of ammonia
                  is not enough to raise the pH to keep the M/C in suspension.

                  HTH!
                  Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis