Alum for marbling

  • KarenS
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2009
      Is the alum that I buy from Prochemical for use as a mordant on cotton the same as the alum you can buy in the grocery store that keeps pickles crisp?

      I'm not a chemist, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

      Thanks, Karen in WI
    • Sue Cole
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2009
        to answer both questions on this list at once, no the alum from
        Prochemical is quite different from the chemical used to do
        pickles.and it's been discussed a couple of times in the archives.
        The Alum I have from Dharma Trading is Aluminum Sulfate. I
        believe the concentration is different also. I got the alum out of my
        cabinet for pickling and it doesn't say on it what it is. I just looked at
        Pro Chemicals' site and it says their alum is Potassium Aluminum
        Sulphate, but both are suitable for dyeing and marbling and work
        well for either.

        For the next person, this is a good site for converting
        measurements.:
        http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/convert/measurements.html

        For dry measurements, it says 2 tablespoons equals an ounce.

        Also, as I have found, different companies give different directions,
        like for the amount of alum to water or methyl cellulose to water.

        I use the carageenan gum from either Diane Maurer or Galen Berry.
        HTH
        Sue