ReMarbling Christmas ornaments

  • Cris C Takacs
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 22, 2009
      I had my first marbling experience with enamel paints when I was 10 years old. I bought a kit. The trick was to turn the object as you lowered it through the paint and lower it very slowly. You used a deep bucket.

      Cris Takacs

    • Laura Sims
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 22, 2009
        Dear Cris,

        Thank you so much for posting your memory.  I had to laugh with a fond memory of my own.  I was teaching school and working as a youth director at my home town YMCA when I went to a teachers conference and bought a little kit of yellow, red, orange, green and blue enamels.  The instructions said that borax had to be dissolved in the bucket of water before floating the paints.  We dipped everything we could find from paper plates to pencils. Years later when I took a weekend class in Marbling I realized it had a name.  Later when I demonstrated marbling at a craft center in Asheville I had some people relating stories from the Depression.  They remember bottles being dipped and used for home decoration or as  lamp bases.

        Have a great day,
        Laura

        I had my first marbling experience with enamel paints when I was 10 years old. I bought a kit. The trick was to turn the object as you lowered it through the paint and lower it very slowly. You used a deep bucket.

        Cris Takacs

      • Sue Cole
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 23, 2009
          this was also a fad in the 70's to dunk vases and bowls down thru a
          bucket of water wiuth paint floating on the top, then when you pulled
          it out it was marbled. However, when I tried it, the paint all "globbed"
          up and looked awful. I tried a couple of different brands, Krylon in
          the bottles and the little bottles of enamels used to paint models. I
          wondered if anyone had done this recently and with what kind of
          paint? Maybe oil paints would work, thinned down?
          Thanks
          Sue