Finishing paper with beeswax

  • sidestreet@americanisp.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2001
      Hi,

      Does anyone know anything about finishing marbled paper with beeswax?
      I don't recall seeing this subject in the list's archives, but it may
      be there.

      Thanks,
      Marc
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2001
        Beeswax or parafin is only meant to lightly coat the papers enough so a
        burnisher will glide over the paper without tearing it. The action of the
        agate or other type burnisher is what polishes the paper by matting down
        the fibers with friction. Waxing alone will just leave a film. Lacking wax,
        a bar of soap lightly passes over the paper will also allow the burnisher
        to work. The waxes though, do leave a little protective coating.

        It is adviseable to cut the paper down to the size needed for the binding
        job before polishing, it is very, very, hard work to do a whole standard
        size sheet. I don't burnish for my customers, but they do it themselves if
        needed.

        Iris Nevins
      • sidestreet@americanisp.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2001
          > The action of the
          > agate or other type burnisher is what polishes the paper by matting
          down
          > the fibers with friction.

          Thank you Iris. If the paper on which the marbling is done already has
          a pretty hard finish, is waxing and burnishing still advisable or
          desireable? And are there other ways of protecting the marbled finish?

          Thanks,
          Marc
        • IrisNevins
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 22, 2001
            The light parafin coating tends to prevent a lot of "rubbing off" of color
            if that's what you mean. This only will apply to watercolor, acrylics dry
            colorfast.

            Iris