Re: Marbling on fabric

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 9, 2009
      I've marbled on silk, 100% cotton and muslin. I have also used pre-
      dyed permanent press fabric with no problems. Maybe I was just
      lucky. I prewash all of them with Synthrapol and soak them in alum,
      then iron them before. After marbling them, I rinse them by hand in
      two different large buckets of cold water, then hang them for 24
      hourse, put them through a rinse cycle in my washing machine with
      cold water and a small amount of unscented fabric softener, then in
      the dryer for a half hour , then iron them. I haven't had any trouble
      with any fading after this process.

      I use several different brands of paints, including Golden and use
      Photo-flo or Golden acrylic flow release as a surfactant. I have had
      good luck also with a cheaper brand that I have found here, but it
      only comes in a few colors, so then youu mix them for other colors -
      Artworks Artist Quality Acrylics by Pro Art. Their black works
      especially well and they never separate in the bottles, like the
      cheaper ones do. It's a bargain here at $8 for a $16 oz bottle. It's
      probably cheaper in the states. Everytrhing is more here because of
      the shipping charges.

      Golden has the best range of colors, however the Golden color I
      had the most trouble with was Carbon Black - it kept "bleeding" off
      the paper even as it was being rinsed.

      I talked to Galen Berry for quite awhile one time and he said he
      considered Utrecht paints to be the best he's used.

      HTH
      Sue in
      Alaska