Carrageenan size

  • permtilperm
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4 9:13 AM
      I have half a kilo of crushed, dried chondrus crispus
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chondrus_crispus> and never tried to
      make marbling size from such a raw material. Only used food grade
      carrageenan powder.
      I presume someone has a recipe or processing description for making a
      size ! ?

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4 4:48 PM
        I started marbling this way 31 years ago before hearing of the powdered size.

        I hope my memory is good... but I think it was a handful to two quarts of water, bring to boil, shut off, let cool, add an equal amount of cold water. Let sit over night. You will have to strain all the junk out. I used a colander, fine mesh, you have to keep cleaning it out though. I may be wrong on the measure, and sometimes some seaweed gels more than others, of the same type, just like one orange may have more juice than another that looks just like it. So you might want to make it a little thicker, you can always water it down.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 8 7:03 AM
          Well - I made 4 liters ready size from about 70 grams of dried chondrus chrispus (that should be around a handful).
          But not only does the oranges have different amout of juice - they have also different flavours!
          My ready size probably contained too much of different kinds of carrageenan (probably kappa and iota type) 'cause after using it for about half an hour it kind of stiffened (gelled).
          It sure made som interesting patterns - but was was not what I planned.

          I diluted the amount with another 4 liters of water and it did work a lot better.
          But... I probably have to find a provider of manufactured lambda carrageenan. It sure is less mess.
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 8 7:25 AM
            It is a lot less mess! I would never go back to it, though I got pretty good at it. Better too thick than too thin, you can always add water.