carageenan in Canada

  • jdolphin532006
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2009
      If someone here could kindly provide me with the address/phone number of a supplier of carageenan in Canada, that would be appreciated. Thanx.

      Jill
      Ottawa
    • jemiljan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2009
        Hi Jill,

        FMC Coproration is a wholesale manufacturer of carrageenan (they list it as a "biopolymer" food additive), and they have a branch closer to you in BC. Perhaps you could contact them to ask who is their distributor?

        FMC of Canada Ltd.
        Get Free Quote / Samples / Send RFQ:
        Address: P.O. Box 2366
        Prince George, BC,
        V2N 2S6
        Phone: 250-561-4201
        Toll Free: 800-667-1662
        Fax: 250-561-4240
        Website: www.fmc.com

        More on carrageenan from FMC's website:

        http://www.fmcbiopolymer.com/food/Ingredients/Carrageenan/Introduction/tabid/2391/Default.aspx

        Note that marblers using powdered extract generally use "lambda" grade carrageenan.

        Just now, I found some fantastic info on carrageenan from the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the UN, which said that Canada produced 70% of the world's carrageenan until the early 1970's, whereas now 90% comes from Chilé(!) It is still harvested in Gulfs of Maine and St. Lawrence in Canada, but especially in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island:

        www.fao.org/docrep/006/Y4765E/y4765e09.htm

        "Chondrus crispus has been harvested in Canada since the 1920s, but only came to prominence during the Second World War, when access to Japanese agar stopped and the Irish Moss beds in France also became inaccessible. Production on Prince Edward Island jumped from 5 dry tonnes in 1940 to 900 dry tonnes in 1942. The original collection was from storm tossed seaweed, driven onto the shore by strong winds. Local farmers picked it up from beaches and shores and sometimes waded into the surf with horse-drawn scoops to capture unattached moss. Fishermen took their boats offshore with hand rakes and scrapped the moss from the flat rock shelf where it grew. In the 1970s, large lobster boats equipped with drag rakes and winches were introduced; the steel rakes - about 1 m wide, 25 kg, with about 40 teeth - are dragged across the moss beds. The scale of operation of these boats had a rather severe effect on the regrowth of the beds and perhaps it was fortunate that demand for moss declined sharply as the cultivated Kappaphycus and Eucheuma became available from the Philippines in the 1980s. With a low demand from carrageenan processors, Irish Moss harvesting has returned to being a part-time fishery, where there is a place for operators equipped with small boats, outboard motors and hand rakes."

        This article adds that further details of Chondrus crispus harvesting in Canada, with very good illustrations of equipment and operations, can be seen in Pringle and Mathieson (1986). Fortunately, they have reproduced this article in full on the FAO website:

        http://www.fao.org/docrep/X5819E/x5819e05.htm

        So, you might just try inquiring about Canadian carrageenan aquaculture from the Bedford institute directly.

        Here's a Nova Scotian company selling chondrus crispus:
        http://www.acadianseaplants.com/healthbeauty.html
        http://www.acadianseaplants.com/brewery.html

        ACADIAN SEAPLANTS LIMITED
        30 Brown Avenue, Dartmouth,
        Nova Scotia, Canada, B3B 1X8
        Telephone:(902)468-2840 · Fax:(902)468-3474
        E-mail:info@...

        So, now I wonder to what extent the other seaweeds (Kappaphycus and Eucheuma) are being sold and used today for our purposes?

        Jake Benson

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "jdolphin532006" <jldolphin@...> wrote:

        > If someone here could kindly provide me with the address/phone number of a supplier of carageenan in Canada, that would be appreciated. Thanx.
        >
        > Jill
        > Ottawa

      • jemiljan
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2009
          The first link in my message to FMC didn't wrap correctly, so here's
          another try:

          Carrageenan described on FMC site
          <http://www.fmcbiopolymer.com/food/Ingredients/Carrageenan/Introduction/\
          tabid/2391/Default.aspx>

          Jake

        • JILL DOLPHIN
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
            Thank you Jake, appreciated!

            Jill

            _____ __o
            Work to eat. Eat to live. Live to bike. Bike to work.