Fabric Marbler

  • Elizabeth Brandkamp
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2009
      I have only done a lot marbling on fabric in the last year (probably have
      marbled 150 yards of fabric or 600 18 inch x 22 inch pieces). I have tried
      about all the different varieties of paint and definitely prefer the Golden
      Fluid Acrylics although they are expensive. I am not crazy about the
      ProChem paints made for marbling. However, I do take their pigments (which
      are super cheap) and mix them with the Goldens to get different colors. I
      will also mix them with the Golden Titanium White as well and they work as
      well as the Goldens by themselves. I also have used the Createx Airbrush
      paints successfully (even the metallics). I generally mix all my own colors
      so only buy cyan, magenta, yellow, golden yellow, several of the blues,
      burnt sienna, burnt umber, black and white. I also always add about equal
      parts of water to all the paints that I am using (ie 1 ml of water to 1 ml
      of paint) and sometimes even more. Lately I have found that I like the
      GAC900 (also a Golden product) as a surfactant! It is supposed to be used
      to help keep a soft hand to fabric when using the fluid acrylics but I found
      it to be a good controllable surfactant as well. It doesn't contaminate the
      size as fast as the dish soap or Synthrapol that I have used in the past. I
      also use currently methocellulose as my size although I will be trying
      carageenan one of these days. I have found I prefer the non-opaque paints
      (transparent) as well -- better color and better mixing. I do use opaques
      when working on colored fabric though (I do a lot of marbling on fabric that
      I have also dyed using fiber reactive dyes).

      I also use the Golden acrylics when doing Suminigashi and have been very
      pleased with that as well. No need for special inks.

      I know there are a few of us who work with fabric. I think fabric is more
      forgiving than paper once you get the hang of getting it on the size
      smoothly. My family finally threatened an intervention if I didn't get out
      of the basement and away from my marbling tray!

      If you go to my blog below and do a search on marbling, you will see some of
      what I have done.

      --
      Beth
      www.quilterb-bethsblog.blogspot.com