Re: foundation for classical Turkish arts

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 27, 2009
      Hi Gretchen,

      yes, from all we know today the oldest surviving papers that are decorated in the technique we call marbling are Japanese and from the 12th century. It's probable that they came to the West via the Silk Road; to Europe they came via Turkey around 1600. A traveller brought them in his 'album amicorum' and many followed, giving birth to an unequalled enthusiasm. The Turkish word 'ebru', meaning 'cloud', is still used as the term for all marbled papers in Turkey whereas in other languages it is used only for what is perceived as 'typically Turkish', meaning: flowers. That may be right or wrong, but that's the way it is.

      Turkish names are not just names, they are given with a meaning in mind. I have met two girls called Ebru, both are lovely. And both, when challenged, knew about the ancient technique! I'd like to see a German girl knowing what a) her name means and b) decorated paper is!
      Well, dreams are for free.

      Susanne Krause