Re: [Marbling] foundation for classical Turkish arts

  • gretchen vansant
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 26, 2009
      Hey Oz...I can't make that link work...I'd be interested to look see..  Hey so PLEASE!  inlighten this humble marbler. I thought that marbling had its origins in china originally? And I had always thought that the term "Ebru" was actually the turkish technique of the stones pulled into flowers-shapes , not typically the rakes which have "Dutch" influences?. So here I'm seeing that "ebru" is the turkish term for marbling?  I appreciate any enlightenment:) Peace Gretchen

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 26, 2009
        Hi gretchen vansant,

        Web site based in Turkey and server also in Turkey I think that's why you didn't load page. If you did you may NOT see ENGLISH version because THERE is NO english version. But if you want some EBRU pictures copy the url below and paste you browser you can see some of them. I thinks Marbling origin is NOT china it is JAPAN.

        http://www.klasikturksanatlarivakfi.com/indexalt.php?sayfa=eserarama&kategori=3&etiket=anahtar+kelimeler

        Sinan Akdeniz

        From: marblasia <uygur13@ttmail. com>

        To: Marbling@yahoogroup s.com

        Date: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 2:32 PM

        I wonder why they have not announced this education center here in this group.Besides the foundation's rich curricullum they have an album site with more than 4000 photos of Turkish Islamic calligraphy, illumination, book binding,gilding. ...

        and Ebru (marbling) works of diverse artists.

        www.klasikturksanat larivakfi. com

        enjoy.

        from Istanbul with love,

        oz

      • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 27, 2009
          Hi Gretchen,

          yes, from all we know today the oldest surviving papers that are decorated in the technique we call marbling are Japanese and from the 12th century. It's probable that they came to the West via the Silk Road; to Europe they came via Turkey around 1600. A traveller brought them in his 'album amicorum' and many followed, giving birth to an unequalled enthusiasm. The Turkish word 'ebru', meaning 'cloud', is still used as the term for all marbled papers in Turkey whereas in other languages it is used only for what is perceived as 'typically Turkish', meaning: flowers. That may be right or wrong, but that's the way it is.

          Turkish names are not just names, they are given with a meaning in mind. I have met two girls called Ebru, both are lovely. And both, when challenged, knew about the ancient technique! I'd like to see a German girl knowing what a) her name means and b) decorated paper is!
          Well, dreams are for free.

          Susanne Krause