Re: [Marbling] Marbo Gum

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 26, 2009
      Is it formulated for acrylics? Or watercolors too. Sigh.... another thing to try out! methyl cel isn't so hot for watercolors. I like Carrageenan for everything, but it is very pricey.
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 27, 2009
        I have just tried Marbogum together with their marbling colours.

        I'm just a novice in this game, but I have these observations:
        (- and of course it's my opinions only)

        + Easy to mix (needs some "settling time" however)
        + Usability of ready mixture last for several weeks
        + Nice, "silke-like" surface after drying

        - Dries up slowly (probably 'cause it leaves a relative thick, wet film on
        the paper)
        - Can in some cases (paper dependent?) make some colour shades in addition
        (like oil on water - or may be "pearly-lustered" is more correct. Much
        dependent of viewing angle and light conditions)

        --
        mvh
        Erik Haagensen

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 27, 2009
          Thanks Erik.... sounds like good old carrageenan is better, at least for old fashioned watercolor marbling.

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 27, 2009
            I tried some and didn't notice any difference in the way it worked with the paint. I use acrylics at present.
            Sue

          • Sue Cole
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 27, 2009
              forgot to say it's not supposed to spoil as quickly as carageenan, so is better for a hot weather place.
              Sue

            • Laura Sims
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 28, 2009
                Dear Erik,
                I have not tried the marbo gum, but Pro Chem marbling paints are not satisfactory if you want to pursue classical patterns.  As the paints spread some of the colors get pin holes (weak film integrity).  Also, as you add multiple colors the edges tend to "feather" instead of keeping a smooth edge.  Both factors alter the line quality.
                Best,Lauraindigostonestudio.com

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 29, 2009
                  I have been marbling for about 13 years using Pro Chem marbling paints exclusively, I marble on fabric and paper. I have to say that I am totally satisfied with pro chem's line of marbling colors. I really have no complaints. I like them mostly because they require no "fiddling around with" . Mostly they work right out of the bottle. Occasionally, they may need a drop or two of the surfectant that you can purchase from them. The colors are intermixable and give consistent results. I find no feathering. I do extremely fine line combing with my pins set about 1/8" apart and get great results. So for this marbler, Pro Chem is my paint of choice
                • permtilperm
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 29, 2009
                    Well - I really didn't discuss any of my experience with the paints from Pro Chemical, just the the effects that I believe were related to the Marbo Gum size.

                    But I too have seen that the inks sometimes tends to have pin holes - and some irregular edges.
                    But since I'm just a novice (as said before) I couldn't tell if these problems is related to my process or not.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 29, 2009
                      Even if I don't reside in what you can call a hot area - rather the opposite - the ready made Marbo Gum size last a loooong time related to carrageenan.
                      - and it seems very economical in use.

                      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote:

                      > forgot to say it's not supposed to spoil as quickly as carageenan, so is better for a hot weather place.
                      > Sue

                    • Laura Sims
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 2, 2009
                        Ah the mysteries of marbling... It just goes to show everyone has to try things for themselves and see what is a fit for them.  One of my favorite quotes is "Ask 3 marblers how to do something and you will get 3 different answers and on a good day you will get six."

                        Happy marbling,
                        Laura