Getting paints to float

  • Elizabeth Brandkamp
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2009
      Sounds like you have gotten some excellent advice. I marble on fabric
      using methylcel and have found that GAC900 (which is the fabric additive for
      the Golden paints) seems to be a surfactant and when added in small doses to
      the paints (which I thin down to almost milk consistency) can help in the
      spreading. I have used dish soap and a detergent called Synthrapol in the
      past and they have to be watered way way down or your paints will spread too
      much. Some use alcohol in the paints to help with the spreading. I
      prefer the no additive approach as much as possible so the Golden fluid
      acrylics paints work best for me - very high pigment and low thickening
      additives in them. (Their headquarters is here in NY and I have had the
      privilege of hearing a long lecture on their paints -- fascinating.)

      I might add that I am a relative beginner compared to the people on this
      list!

      --
      Beth
      www.quilterb-bethsblog.blogspot.com