"Painted on water" Sertap Erener&Demir Demirkan with Ebru Art by Bingul Sevimli

  • bingulsevimli
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 16, 2009
      TUESDAY, JUNE 16th 2009---7:00PM:

      PAINTED ON WATER CD RELEASE CELEBRATION

      LE POISSON ROUGE

      158 BLEECKER STREET BETWEEN SULLIVAN STREET & THOMPSON STREET

      NEW YORK, NY 10012

      Tic: $20

      PAINTED ON WATER is a world music fusion concept with jazz, pop and
      Turkish influences. The material demonstrates the shifting, tangible and
      intangible qualities of music, emotion and art. The live appearances
      promise to be rich and involving multi-media events, accompanied by a
      live projected display of

      Ebru art, created onstage by the master paper-marbling artist Bingul
      Sevimli. Imbued with its many historic sources, the ethos of the album
      is at once Turkish, and universal: "You and me is a long story, painted
      on water," and "life is like water, and you put the colors onto it."

      Sertab Erener and Demir Demirkan are among Turkey's most celebrated
      musicians. Erener's 12 albums have sold in the millions in Europe and
      Asia. Guitarist, composer and PAINTED ON WATER album co-producer
      Demirkan became one of Turkey's true rock stars in the Istanbul heavy
      metal band Pentagram. He has released three solo albums and a film
      score. He and Erener co-wrote the 2003 international hit, "Every Way
      That I Can," Turkey's first and only winner in the history of the
      Eurovision Song Contest.

      info@...@...

    • mehmet sinan akdeniz
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2009
        Istanbulive: The Sounds & Colors of Turkey
        Mazhar-Fuat-Özkan
        Painted on Water featuring Sertab Erener & Demir Demirkan
        NY Gypsy All-Stars with Hüsnü Senlendirici and special guests

        Saturday, June 27, 2009

        From 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM

        Central Park SummerStage

        The colorful culture of Turkey and the musical richness of Istanbul
        come alive with sounds, visuals, and food. Presented in association with the Turkish Ministry of Culture & Tourism and Serdar Ilhan. Click here for more information

        Istanbulive: The Sounds & Colors of Turkey is an unprecedented event aimed at introducing Turkish music to the popular American consciousness.
        Mazhar Fuat Özkan (or MFÖ) has been an institution
        in Turkey for more than 30 years. With sentimental as well as humorous
        lyrics that speak to the lives of the Turkish people—and a richly
        harmonic folk-rock sound that has been compared to Crosby, Stills &
        Nash, and Simon & Garfunkel—Mazhar Fuat Özkan remains one of the
        most respected bands in Turkey.
        Painted on Water is the title of both the band and the ambitious new recording project featuring Sertab Erener, one of the most eminent voices in Turkish pop music, and Turkish rock star, Demir Demirkan,
        her producer, arranger and songwriting partner. The album, with lyrics
        in English, combines traditional Turkish folk song with American jazz,
        pop/rock and blues and features guest appearances by the likes of Al Di
        Meola, Kai Eckhardt, Tulug Tirpan, Dave Weckl and Trilok Gurtu.
        Hüsnü Senlendirici, a conservatory-trained Turkish
        clarinetist, has collaborated with Al Di Meola, Zakir Hussain and Ivo
        Paposov. Says NY trumpeter and bandleader Frank London, “In Turkey, the
        clarinet is their saxophone and Hüsnü is Michael Brecker, Branford
        Marsalis and Maceo Parker all rolled into one. He is constantly raising
        the bar whether playing pop, improvisation, progressive folk or dance
        music.”
        Vassilis Saleas is considered the foremost
        clarinetist in Greece. Best known for his work accompanying Greek new
        age instrumentalist Vangelis, Saleas is also a highly regarded solo
        artist in his homeland. He will be flying in from Athens exclusively to
        share the same stage with Hüsnü Senlendirici on this special occasion.
        Backing the two clarinetists will be NY Gypsy All-Stars,
        a non-stop party band steeped in the traditions of Turkish and Balkan
        music but equally fluent in contemporary jazz and dance. The group
        features clarinetist Ismail Lumanovski (born in Macedonia), bassist
        Panagiotis Andreou (from Greece), Macedonia native Seido Salifoski (on
        darbouka and dumbek), Tamer Pinarbasi from Turkey (on qanún), and
        Turkish drummer Engin Gunaydin.
        Also performing will be guitarist/singer/songwriter Emre Yilmaz and the eclectic Brooklyn Funk Essentials.
        BFE’s 1998 album In the Buzzbag, which also featured Hüsnü Senlendirici
        and his band Laço Tayfa, is considered an album ahead of its time, a
        landmark in the fusion of Eastern motifs with funk, reggae, hip-hop,
        Latin and acid jazz.
        FREEE!!!

        __

      • John Goode
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2009
          Hello
          Is this a one show or will it tour the states?
          John