Re: Yupo Paper

  • onemarbler
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2 4:50 AM
      Glad to hear you've pretty much recovered from that darned elbow mishap, Joan. Welcome back!

      I know nothing of yupo paper, but can't imagine how the colors would adhere if the paper if waterproof. I'll be looking forward to hearing the results you had.

      Lavinia

    • carylhanc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2 8:00 AM
        Hi, Joan and all,
        While not yupo paper, I have marbled on Tyvek (R), the insulation material
        that is wrapped around the frames of houses or buildings here in the US. It is
        also the material (different consistency) in the priority mail envelopes,
        which can be purchased in our office supply stores. It can't be torn, but it
        does distort in wonderful ways when hit with heat from a heat gun or pressed
        gently with an iron (respirator is recommended to prevent inhaling the fumes)! It
        has accepted the marbling (acrylic on methylcel) without aluming! And I
        think, somewhere along the line, I did try the yupo paper, and it worked

        It can be purchased in big rolls at our hardware stores, but I have been
        successful retrieving some from the grounds of construction sites, always with
        permission (LOL)!

        Have fun!
        Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis, in the spirit of sharing

      • Susanne Krause
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2 8:27 AM
          Hi Caryl and all,

          Tyvek looked extraordinarily promising when I tried making paste and other papers on it, the problem is that the paints don't adhere sufficiently no matter which paints I used. Touch the surface with a remotely moist finger, try pulling it around the boards of a book, and off they go! The reason is that Tyvek is made to resist anything aqueous. Obviously; hence the heavy duty envelopes.

          The only paints that would answer to my requirements are flexoprint printing paints, and I'm not going to start this kind of thing.

          Susanne Krause

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, carylhanc@... wrote:

          > Hi, Joan and all,
          > While not yupo paper, I have marbled on Tyvek (R), the insulation material
          > that is wrapped around the frames of houses or buildings here in the US. It is
          > also the material (different consistency) in the priority mail envelopes,
          > which can be purchased in our office supply stores. It can't be torn, but it
          > does distort in wonderful ways when hit with heat from a heat gun or pressed
          > gently with an iron (respirator is recommended to prevent inhaling the fumes)! It
          > has accepted the marbling (acrylic on methylcel) without aluming! And I
          > think, somewhere along the line, I did try the yupo paper, and it worked
          >
          > It can be purchased in big rolls at our hardware stores, but I have been
          > successful retrieving some from the grounds of construction sites, always with
          > permission (LOL)!
          >
          > Have fun!
          > Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis, in the spirit of sharing

        • sixshort
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4 5:40 AM
            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, carylhanc@... wrote:

            > Hi Carly, Thanks for your reply. I have tried Tyvek, but my watercolour marbling paints just run straight off the slick surface, even though it was alumed. It is interesting to hear that you have successfully marbled these tough, waterproof papers. Maybe it is just that the watercolour paints that are the problem.

            Galen Berry, an excellent marbler in the USA, marbles with acrylic, and I think uses Tyvek, but I am not sure.

            I will let you know how I go when I try the ordered Yupo samples. Best regards from Down Under, where we are at last getting some cooler autumn weather. Joan

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4 11:30 PM
              Hi Joan,

              acrylics I have tried and it didn't change a thing, even when I left out the paste altogether and used acrylics thinned down (not much) with water. Tried drawing inks and writing inks of several brands with several binders and gave up frustrated.

              What I found, though, is that the heavier tyvek was even worse than the thin.

              Susanne Krause