Yupo Paper

  • sixshort
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2009
      Hello fellow marblers. A long time since I have touched base, but I am still marbling, and have recently updated my website, which has the same wording - www.marbledpaper.com.au

      My question today is: has anyone tried Yupo paper for marbling? I would love to be able to access a good waterproof paper which marbles well and is flexible. Yupo comes in many grades and styles, and seems to be easily available. I have sent for samples from Daltons, so will let you know if the paper actually works for marbling.

      A badly broken and dislocated left elbow put me out of the marbling scene for most of last year, but it had its good points, and allowed me to stand back and look at my work, life etc. It also forced me to learn how to marble mostly sitting down, and only standing for some combing, so has inadvertently helped the inevitable back, hip and foot pain associated with standing all day at the tray.

      Good to be back in touch. Joan Ajala
    • onemarbler
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2009
        Glad to hear you've pretty much recovered from that darned elbow mishap, Joan. Welcome back!

        I know nothing of yupo paper, but can't imagine how the colors would adhere if the paper if waterproof. I'll be looking forward to hearing the results you had.

        Lavinia

      • carylhanc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2009
          Hi, Joan and all,
          While not yupo paper, I have marbled on Tyvek (R), the insulation material
          that is wrapped around the frames of houses or buildings here in the US. It is
          also the material (different consistency) in the priority mail envelopes,
          which can be purchased in our office supply stores. It can't be torn, but it
          does distort in wonderful ways when hit with heat from a heat gun or pressed
          gently with an iron (respirator is recommended to prevent inhaling the fumes)! It
          has accepted the marbling (acrylic on methylcel) without aluming! And I
          think, somewhere along the line, I did try the yupo paper, and it worked

          It can be purchased in big rolls at our hardware stores, but I have been
          successful retrieving some from the grounds of construction sites, always with
          permission (LOL)!

          Have fun!
          Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis, in the spirit of sharing

        • Susanne Krause
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2009
            Hi Caryl and all,

            Tyvek looked extraordinarily promising when I tried making paste and other papers on it, the problem is that the paints don't adhere sufficiently no matter which paints I used. Touch the surface with a remotely moist finger, try pulling it around the boards of a book, and off they go! The reason is that Tyvek is made to resist anything aqueous. Obviously; hence the heavy duty envelopes.

            The only paints that would answer to my requirements are flexoprint printing paints, and I'm not going to start this kind of thing.

            Susanne Krause

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4, 2009
              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, carylhanc@... wrote:

              > Hi Carly, Thanks for your reply. I have tried Tyvek, but my watercolour marbling paints just run straight off the slick surface, even though it was alumed. It is interesting to hear that you have successfully marbled these tough, waterproof papers. Maybe it is just that the watercolour paints that are the problem.

              Galen Berry, an excellent marbler in the USA, marbles with acrylic, and I think uses Tyvek, but I am not sure.

              I will let you know how I go when I try the ordered Yupo samples. Best regards from Down Under, where we are at last getting some cooler autumn weather. Joan

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 4, 2009
                Hi Joan,

                acrylics I have tried and it didn't change a thing, even when I left out the paste altogether and used acrylics thinned down (not much) with water. Tried drawing inks and writing inks of several brands with several binders and gave up frustrated.

                What I found, though, is that the heavier tyvek was even worse than the thin.

                Susanne Krause