Re: Suzanne - secrets

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2009
      My understanding is that Fish Glue was mentioned by Cennino Cennini for certain Furniture uses, and that some modern illuminators use it for gilding.

      This guy (website below) is very well researched and passionate about the subject of adhesives for gilding, history of adhesives, and adhesive structures in general. He says that Fish glue use for illumination was a mistaken translation of Cennini back in the 19th century, and gives instructions on making the real size for use with gold...

      http://www.jtresser.com/GOLDBLOG.html

      (Fish glue bit) http://www.jtresser.com/FISHGLUE.html

      Even other furniture gilders that mention fish glue do not believe it to be a great adhesive.

      I have bought a tube of Mr Tresser's stuff, and if you wish, I will keep you updated. Gilding over marbled paper is an interesting concept, I think...

      Julie