Paint mixing techniques

  • combsly
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 23 9:45 AM
      Hi all! I'm new to this group, but have been marbling for the past year. I'm wondering what paints you use - I currently use Golden fluid acrylics, but I've also heard of people blending fluids with other paints for a more consistent effect. What works best for you?
    • marysmarbling
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2009
        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "combsly" <combsly@...> wrote:

        > Hi all! I'm new to this group, but have been marbling for the past year. I'm wondering what paints you use - I currently use Golden fluid acrylics, but I've also heard of people blending fluids with other paints for a more consistent effect. What works best for you?

        Hi-

        I don't know if anyone else has replied to your question. I also use Golden fluid acrylics. I have used Golden High Load acrylics (not to be confused with Heavy Load) to get a better result with red. The pigment content of the High Load gives a brighter truer red. I've also used other High Load colors with good results. However, they are very expensive!

        I've done a test blending Golden fluid with Jacquard Marbling paint. It was more in desperation, since I was trying to marble with Jacquard and was getting uneven results. I was supposed to teach a class using the Jacquard paints and was hoping for reliable results. I gave up on the Jacquard and went back to the Golden fluid. However, some of the colors did blend well and there were fewer problems when I combined them.

        Hopes this helps to answer your question a little.

        Mary Holland
      • Marianne Combs
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2009
          Hi Mary!

          Thanks so much for your response - this is helpful. I did hear from one other (Ginny) who said she blends her Golden Fluid with Golden Heavy Body for better color results. So I might try an experiment with both High Load and Heavy Body and see what I learn. I'll be sure to post my results when I do.

          Thanks again!

          Marianne

          > Hi all! I'm new to this group, but have been marbling for the past year. I'm wondering what paints you use - I currently use Golden fluid acrylics, but I've also heard of people blending fluids with other paints for a more consistent effect. What works best for you?

          Hi-

          I don't know if anyone else has replied to your question. I also use Golden fluid acrylics. I have used Golden High Load acrylics (not to be confused with Heavy Load) to get a better result with red. The pigment content of the High Load gives a brighter truer red. I've also used other High Load colors with good results. However, they are very expensive!

          I've done a test blending Golden fluid with Jacquard Marbling paint. It was more in desperation, since I was trying to marble with Jacquard and was getting uneven results. I was supposed to teach a class using the Jacquard paints and was hoping for reliable results. I gave up on the Jacquard and went back to the Golden fluid. However, some of the colors did blend well and there were fewer problems when I combined them.

          Hopes this helps to answer your question a little.

          Mary Holland

        • Laura Sims
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2009
            Dear Mary,

            Instead of mixing different brands you may want to try some of the mediums that Golden has available to get desired results.  Since I print on silk I use GAC 900 fabric medium starting with one part paint, one part medium and one part water.  GAC 800 will reduce crazeing on the surface of the bath by slowing the drying time of the paint solution.  Also if you have trouble with the paint getting little "pin holes" in the stones use GAC 100 to strengthen the film integrity of  the paint.  Flow Release is Golden's surfactant.

            Best of Luck,
            Laura Sims
            www.indigostonestudio.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2009
              Hi Laura,

              Thanks for all your suggestions. I went to your website and really love your textile work.
              I'll be sure to try the Golden products you suggested when I do my next marbling session.

              Thanks

              Mary