Handmade paper and marbling

  • Oğuzhan Tuğrul
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2009
      Dear Friends,

      Tom Leech makes the best handmade paper and marbles the most elaborate designs,

      how do I know ? Because he blessed me with some of his marbleously marbled art works.

      Marjorie Tomchuk also makes her own papers and marbles them,

      and luckily I own two examples of her fine artwork through Friends of Dard Hunter keepsake exchange.

      My favourite is MARBLED PULP PAPER !!!

      sounds exciting isn't it ?

      I own another example of this kind of artwork through Dard Hunter annual keepsake exchange.

      But who am I to say anything on this subject ?

      Please check past issues of Handpapermaking magazines (same address for the web site) www.handpapermaking.org

      As for supplies to make paper :

      in Boston there is LeeMcDonald who makes beaters,moulds,ready made paper pulp,pigments etc.

      in New York there is Carriage House who also sell supplies and makes paper for artists on demand,

      TwinRocker ? is another pillar in the paper Society.

      There is a yahoo group for Handpapermakers ....

      You will be born again ! if you made your own paper.

      I once took blue paper pulp made from jeans and came up with paper pulp calligraphy !! (you can buy denim pulp in the USA)

      Crane company sells chopped up dollars !!! to add into the paper pulp ,

      they also make paper from old US paper money.

      One does not need to invest much (at the beginning) to make hand made paper.

      To cut a long story short, USA is the Mecca for contemporary papermakers and they have all kinds of supplies and ideas.

      There are people out there who even grow their raw materials to make paper ,in their backyard.

      Since some marblers also prepare their pigments ,I would think the next (logical) step would be making their own paper.

      Making your own paper is strongly recommended,

      be kind to yourself ,

      challenge your limits.

      cordially,

      Oz

      ps.of course one can buy handmade paper from the supplier and marble.