Re: Making our own base papers

  • kirkiridis
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
      Firstly, let me say I know nothing about marbling on paper- I marble
      fabric but on the subject of paper, I know that there are a number paper
      making projects here in South Africa making beautiful paper- some of
      which is exported through the Fair Trade organisation.Perhaps this is
      the way to go.
    • athena_2547
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
        Hello everyone,
        I just created a album in the photo section called marbling on handmade papers, feel free
        to add your photos. I also came across an article in handpapermaking from the summer of
        2003 by Tom Leech called "An Invitation to Marble". Many have played around with
        marbling from the bookarts and hmp communities and said similar things about marbling
        that this group is saying about making their own papers. I only drop my "precious" papers
        onto a vat when I'm sure about the image created, I still produce 4 duds out of every 10
        sheets. Since I can charge fine art prices, this becomes part of my process, and the duds
        get overmarbled or have other lives as scrap or recycled paper.

        I am in my twenties and having "paper dreams" trying to start a cooperative studio for
        paper and marbling here in Boston. I know it's a long shot but the last seven years of my
        life Ive been developing this method of working. I know it would not be cost effective on
        the scale I previously practiced. However this studio has all the equipment a papermaker
        could hope for, and is a dedicated space for marbling so no more nomadic marbling.

        ~Melinda Cross
      • onemarbler
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
          I particularly liked your self-portrait, and the other marbler's
          portait piece. Thanks for sharing.

          Lavinia

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "athena_2547" <athena_2547@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          > I just created a album in the photo section called marbling on
          handmade papers, feel free
          > to add your photos.
        • John Goode
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
            Hi All.
            With a hydraulic press and a heated tube dryer you can crank out super nice
            flat paper on the earlier post I mentioned the rough flat easy kind.These
            would be the next two steps.
            There is a cotton gin in my town and the cotton linters were .25 cents per
            lb two years ago they are raw and natural but real nice cream.The size has
            its limitations too. Smaller vs bigger is better, for me at this time.
            This is a great topic! I hope to hear and learn more...
            Thru marbling..
            John Goode