Re: Making our own base papers

  • atomenegazzo
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 3 3:00 AM
      Hi Dear group,

      On the commercial level, I think best thing to do is don´t even marble, just be a re seller.

      my best regards from Buenos Aires

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Susanne Krause" <studio@...> wrote:

      > Hi Iris,
      > and hi to all the others wondering about paper making,
      >
      > for making decorated papers professionally, meaning to earn your
      > livelyhood by it, forget about making your own base papers unless you
      > are about twenty years of age, have the time and the money to invest
      > in 10 years of full time learning, plus 10 more years of learning the
      > techniques of paper decoration you wish to learn, plus more years in
      > which to learn combining both.
      >
      > It may sound harsh but that's exactly how it is. We're all repeating
      > all the time that you cannot learn marbling (or any of the other
      > tchniques) quickly and easily. An enormous percentage of all the
      > postings in this group is about technical problems and the tricks our
      > materials play on us. Paper making is just the same; and on top of it
      > all a professional set up needs even more space and money than the
      > professional set up for paper decoration.
      >
      > A person can have enormous fun making paper, just as they can have
      > enormous fun making marbled papers or whatever. It's very, very
      > exciting work and just as addictive as making decorated papers. It's a
      > sensational experience to be responsible for the whole thing.
      > Nevertheless it is idiotic on the commercial level, and it is
      > adventurous on the emotional (to say the least). It is the simple
      > truth that there are just so many really good papers makers, just as
      > there are just so many really good paper decorators. Once in a while
      > there may be an exceptionally gifted and dedicated person who can do
      > both in equally good quality, but these persons are just that:
      > exceptions. We're not a profession of exceptions (except in the field
      > of mild madness).
      >
      > I could go on and on about this, but let me finish with a suggestion:
      > try printing papers. They are velin, sturdy, comparatively cheap and
      > available with or without buffering. I'm using them for dribbled,
      > early 20th century and some 19th century pastes. I'm told they marble
      > fine.
      > Susanne krause

    • atomenegazzo
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 3 3:33 AM
        Dear group.

        My previous message 100% nonsense.

        I sorry!
        regards

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 3 5:50 AM
          Very good info Susanne. Unlike you, I AM mad! And I thought you must be too, ha ha... one of the obsessive ones. My friends laugh at me... I'll try anything, the worst is that you fail and either keep trying or do something else. I could do a lot of things if marbling didn't work for me, have studied many things, self study that is, I never went past high school, have no degrees or college or anything. I am just terribly mad and obsessive, and stubborn too. This paper problem, it will not be the end of marbling for me. Honestly the worst possible scenario would be, like you, find a hand papermaker (if I don't do it myself ultimately) who will make what I want. If it's very expensive so be it, I will marble for a few at a higher price per sheet is all. Or do marbled art, which I rarely have time for. I may have to work for a living at something else, but will not stop marbling!

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 3 5:55 AM
            Well someone has to make what you would re-sell! I like marbling on a commercial level, though these days it could be a little more commercial thank you. The economy is hitting my sales very hard. I like doing the dreaded small press orders of 100-1000 of the same paper, is it boring.... sort of, but not really... there's a certain adrenaline rush when you have to constantly strive for perfection, as in matching that many sheets very closely. It's a skill, requires much concentration and precision, it's a challenge, and the pay is not at all bad when you get orders of this sort.
            I am a veritable human marbling machine, when required, have been for 31 years now, and now that there is a paper that works, I love it again. So on a commercial level, how about I be the machine, you do the selling? I could use more sales, we all likely could!

            Iris Nevins
            www.marblingpaper.com<about:blank>

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 3 5:57 AM
              Oh I understood it was a joke!! Still, if you want to be my re-seller let me know!! I know you were kidding. True enough, if we didn't have to make money, there would be more time for art and experimentation! Artists are often uncomfortable with the business side of things!

              Iris Nevins
              www.marblingpaper.com<about:blank>
              > On the commercial level, I think best thing to do is don´t even marble, just be a re
              seller.

              > my best regards from Buenos Aires
              >
              > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>, "Susanne Krause" <studio@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Iris,
              > > and hi to all the others wondering about paper making,
              > >
              > > for making decorated papers professionally, meaning to earn your
              > > livelyhood by it, forget about making your own base papers unless you
              > > are about twenty years of age, have the time and the money to invest
              > > in 10 years of full time learning, plus 10 more years of learning the
              > > techniques of paper decoration you wish to learn, plus more years in
              > > which to learn combining both.
              > >
              > > It may sound harsh but that's exactly how it is. We're all repeating
              > > all the time that you cannot learn marbling (or any of the other
              > > tchniques) quickly and easily. An enormous percentage of all the
              > > postings in this group is about technical problems and the tricks our
              > > materials play on us. Paper making is just the same; and on top of it
              > > all a professional set up needs even more space and money than the
              > > professional set up for paper decoration.
              > >
              > > A person can have enormous fun making paper, just as they can have
              > > enormous fun making marbled papers or whatever. It's very, very
              > > exciting work and just as addictive as making decorated papers. It's a
              > > sensational experience to be responsible for the whole thing.
              > > Nevertheless it is idiotic on the commercial level, and it is
              > > adventurous on the emotional (to say the least). It is the simple
              > > truth that there are just so many really good papers makers, just as
              > > there are just so many really good paper decorators. Once in a while
              > > there may be an exceptionally gifted and dedicated person who can do
              > > both in equally good quality, but these persons are just that:
              > > exceptions. We're not a profession of exceptions (except in the field
              > > of mild madness).
              > >
              > > I could go on and on about this, but let me finish with a suggestion:
              > > try printing papers. They are velin, sturdy, comparatively cheap and
              > > available with or without buffering. I'm using them for dribbled,
              > > early 20th century and some 19th century pastes. I'm told they marble
              > > fine.
              > > Susanne krause

            • kirkiridis
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 3 6:36 AM
                Firstly, let me say I know nothing about marbling on paper- I marble
                fabric but on the subject of paper, I know that there are a number paper
                making projects here in South Africa making beautiful paper- some of
                which is exported through the Fair Trade organisation.Perhaps this is
                the way to go.
              • athena_2547
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 3 9:53 AM
                  Hello everyone,
                  I just created a album in the photo section called marbling on handmade papers, feel free
                  to add your photos. I also came across an article in handpapermaking from the summer of
                  2003 by Tom Leech called "An Invitation to Marble". Many have played around with
                  marbling from the bookarts and hmp communities and said similar things about marbling
                  that this group is saying about making their own papers. I only drop my "precious" papers
                  onto a vat when I'm sure about the image created, I still produce 4 duds out of every 10
                  sheets. Since I can charge fine art prices, this becomes part of my process, and the duds
                  get overmarbled or have other lives as scrap or recycled paper.

                  I am in my twenties and having "paper dreams" trying to start a cooperative studio for
                  paper and marbling here in Boston. I know it's a long shot but the last seven years of my
                  life Ive been developing this method of working. I know it would not be cost effective on
                  the scale I previously practiced. However this studio has all the equipment a papermaker
                  could hope for, and is a dedicated space for marbling so no more nomadic marbling.

                  ~Melinda Cross
                • onemarbler
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 3 10:05 AM
                    I particularly liked your self-portrait, and the other marbler's
                    portait piece. Thanks for sharing.

                    Lavinia

                    --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "athena_2547" <athena_2547@...> wrote:

                    > Hello everyone,
                    > I just created a album in the photo section called marbling on
                    handmade papers, feel free
                    > to add your photos.
                  • John Goode
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 3 5:46 PM
                      Hi All.
                      With a hydraulic press and a heated tube dryer you can crank out super nice
                      flat paper on the earlier post I mentioned the rough flat easy kind.These
                      would be the next two steps.
                      There is a cotton gin in my town and the cotton linters were .25 cents per
                      lb two years ago they are raw and natural but real nice cream.The size has
                      its limitations too. Smaller vs bigger is better, for me at this time.
                      This is a great topic! I hope to hear and learn more...
                      Thru marbling..
                      John Goode