marbling on raw silk

  • Dean and Linda
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2001
      Any tips on working with raw silk noil? I have seen some that looked
      really lovely but it wasn't any of the ones I did! The silk noil is very
      resistant to wetting with anything. Should it be marbled while still
      pretty damp with the alum solution perhaps?

      > Thanks,
      > Jan

      Hi Jan and all - we find silk has some interesting properties - we need to
      let the silk sit longer in the alum to make sure everything takes. The
      marbling on the silk for us has been more muted than on other silks. We
      stretch our silk out so that it will air-dry with the alum and not have a
      lot of wrinkles. Sometimes the wrinkles can affect the pattern. Silk noil
      has a rougher texture, so you need to be careful with what pattern you
      choose so that it is distinct.

      We've never marbled anything while it was still damp, after learning the
      hard way that the alum needed to be dry. Now you've made me curious to try
      some again - we don't have much call for orders of silk noil.

      Linda in Tucson