Re: [Marbling] Whiskers? Yes, really.

  • Sally Jackson
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
      While I realize you said that friends give you whiskers, how do they
      get them from the cat? Surely nobody cuts off a cat's whiskers!

      My husband made combs using acupuncture needles for very fine
      combing. The needles aren't much thicker than a human hair. That
      worked wonderfully well.

      Sally Jackson

      On Feb 9, 2009, at 3:01 PM, dkmaurer1@... wrote:

      > Hi Lavinia,
      >
      > I used the whisker in TN to demonstrate fine patterning for
      > suminagashi
      > which, if done in about 1/2 inch of water (no wake) approximates a
      > watercolor-marbled chevron design. Although my cats have passed
      > away (I have a rambunctious
      > potentially kitty-snacking husky now), I do have friends with cats
      > who supply me
      > with whiskers. Volunteered whiskers are also good for fine line
      > painting or
      > calligraphy!
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Diane Maurer-Mathison

    • Lavinia Adler
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
        I'm sure Diane's friends get those whiskers just as I do -- picking them
        up from the floor or furniture where the cats have shed them!

        Lavinia

        On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 17:49:22 -0600 Sally Jackson <serifm@...>
        writes:

        While I realize you said that friends give you whiskers, how do they
        get them from the cat? Surely nobody cuts off a cat's whiskers!
      • gretchen vansant
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
          Cat whiskers are shed on occasions....I personally like the idea of the acupuncture needle...but since I work in Methol and in such a large vat my fine lines come with layered applied paint..great ideas! G

        • dkmaurer1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
            Maybe a tiger whisker!

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 9, 2009
              Oh heavens.....they have to be volunteered. All cats shed whiskers from time
              to time. Mine used to shed white whiskers on my navy blue couch. Be on the
              lookout for them and you'll see them. A student in one of my classes once asked
              how you avoid getting scratched yanking them out! No fair doing that!!!LOL! And
              no fair cutting them either......

              Diane