Re: [Marbling] Whiskers? Yes, really.

  • Lavinia Adler
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 9 3:06 PM
      Thanks for reminding me who'd used the whisker, Diane! I was leaning
      toward it being you, but would have had to check my photos and notes to
      be sure. What I didn't remember was that it was a suminagashi pattern.
      I'm glad you clarified that. I wonder if the whisker could handle the
      heavier duty marbling techniques.

      Lavinia

      On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:01:41 EST dkmaurer1@... writes

      Hi Lavinia,

      I used the whisker in TN to demonstrate fine patterning for suminagashi
      which, if done in about 1/2 inch of water (no wake) approximates a
      watercolor-marbled chevron design. Although my cats have passed away (I
      have a rambunctious
      potentially kitty-snacking husky now), I do have friends with cats who
      supply me
      with whiskers. Volunteered whiskers are also good for fine line painting
      or
      calligraphy!

      Best regards,
      Diane Maurer-Mathison
    • Sally Jackson
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 9 3:49 PM
        While I realize you said that friends give you whiskers, how do they
        get them from the cat? Surely nobody cuts off a cat's whiskers!

        My husband made combs using acupuncture needles for very fine
        combing. The needles aren't much thicker than a human hair. That
        worked wonderfully well.

        Sally Jackson

        On Feb 9, 2009, at 3:01 PM, dkmaurer1@... wrote:

        > Hi Lavinia,
        >
        > I used the whisker in TN to demonstrate fine patterning for
        > suminagashi
        > which, if done in about 1/2 inch of water (no wake) approximates a
        > watercolor-marbled chevron design. Although my cats have passed
        > away (I have a rambunctious
        > potentially kitty-snacking husky now), I do have friends with cats
        > who supply me
        > with whiskers. Volunteered whiskers are also good for fine line
        > painting or
        > calligraphy!
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Diane Maurer-Mathison

      • Lavinia Adler
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 9 3:59 PM
          I'm sure Diane's friends get those whiskers just as I do -- picking them
          up from the floor or furniture where the cats have shed them!

          Lavinia

          On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 17:49:22 -0600 Sally Jackson <serifm@...>
          writes:

          While I realize you said that friends give you whiskers, how do they
          get them from the cat? Surely nobody cuts off a cat's whiskers!
        • gretchen vansant
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 9 4:07 PM
            Cat whiskers are shed on occasions....I personally like the idea of the acupuncture needle...but since I work in Methol and in such a large vat my fine lines come with layered applied paint..great ideas! G

          • dkmaurer1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 9 4:42 PM
              Maybe a tiger whisker!

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 9 4:46 PM
                Oh heavens.....they have to be volunteered. All cats shed whiskers from time
                to time. Mine used to shed white whiskers on my navy blue couch. Be on the
                lookout for them and you'll see them. A student in one of my classes once asked
                how you avoid getting scratched yanking them out! No fair doing that!!!LOL! And
                no fair cutting them either......

                Diane